Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible breakthrough in energy source research!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Bintravkin
    I Wanted to know the reason why more energy was released. But i look on wikipedia, even if i didn't find the answer to my question, I find something interesting.

Scientific understanding

The concept of heliocentrism, with the Sun at the centre of the solar system, was first suggested in ancient India by Yajnavalkya (circa 9th century BC) in his Shatapatha Brahmana, which referred to the Earth as a sphere and the Sun as the "centre of spheres". Based on this heliocentric model, the distance of the Sun from the Earth was accurately measured as 108 times the diameter of the Sun, very close to the modern measurement of 107.6 times the Sun's diameter. The calendar described in the text corresponds to an average tropical year of 365.2467 days, which was close to the modern value of 365.2422 days.

One of the first people in the Western world to offer a scientific explanation for the sun was the Greek philosopher Anaxagoras, who reasoned that it was a giant flaming ball of metal even larger than the Peleponessus, and not the chariot of Helios. For teaching this heresy, he was imprisoned by the authorities and sentenced to death (though later released through the intervention of Pericles).

The Indian astronomer-mathematician Aryabhata in the 5th century CE, in his magnum opus Aryabhatiya, propounded a heliocentric model where the Earth was taken to be spinning on its axis, and the periods of the planets were given with respect to a stationary Sun. He was also the first to discover that the light from the Moon and the planets were reflected from the Sun, and that the planets follow an elliptical orbit around the Sun; thus he propunded an eccentric elliptical model of the planets, whereby he accurately calculated many astronomical constants, such as the time of the solar eclipse. Bhaskara (1114-1185) expanded on Aryabhata's heliocentric model in his treatise Siddhanta-Shiromani, where he mentioned the law of gravity, and discovered that the planets don't orbit the Sun at a uniform velocity. Arabic translations of Aryabhata's Aryabhatiya were available from the 8th century, while Latin translations were available from the 13th century, before the time of Copernicus, so it's quite possible that Aryabhata's work had an influence on Copernicus' ideas.
    bleh

Comment

Nuclear reactions still obey all physical laws. What is going on is that during fission a large nucleus is splitting into smaller ones, which require less binding energy. This results in excess energy which (A small portion of) we can use.

Fusion goes the opposite way, there smaller nuclei are combined to form larger ones with some of the binding energy released.

Iron (56) is the atom which has the highest binding energy, it is where it is energetically favorable to do fusion towards (for small nuclei), and to do fission towards (for large nuclei).

Radioactive material is material that has nuclei that are going towards more favorable states by decaying. In order to form heavier nuclei (Than Iron) something very energetic must occur, like a supernova (it isn't formed in the usual fusion processes of even the largest star).

The sun goes through a series of nuclear processes which result in hydrogen going into helium. (I don't remember all the processes right now)

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Even though I am not a plasma person, I would want to see a paper.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

niice
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Wow, this is the greatest energy breakthru since cold fusion.

Comment

Please, in lay-man's lingo, what are the potential implications of this?
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I think they are claiming to have caused the plasma to undergo fusion..?

As I said, I will need to read a paper about the experiment.

Fusion would provide for cheaper power in the future.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc

Anyone can explain to me, how in nuclear reactions, more energy are releasing than the originally put in?

Thanks!
                  initially by us, creating uranium originally was probably quite expensive in terms of energy by the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                    Please, in lay-man's lingo, what are the potential implications of this?
                    The Z-Bomb.

Comment

Interesting...I am eager to see where this leads...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There's no "energy source" breakthrough here. It sounds like they had pumped some energy into the fields somewhere and when they started to turn down the power some of it came back and reheated the plasma.

The only thing that's happening is that they don't quite understand the dynamics of the system, so they don't understand where they had stored the energy
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          I think they are claiming to have caused the plasma to undergo fusion..?
                          Not if they value their careers they aren't...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            Iron (56) is the atom which has the highest binding energy,
                            Quibble: highest binding energy per nucleon.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Party-pooper.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Oooh KH, you're so masterful
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X