Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible breakthrough in energy source research!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible breakthrough in energy source research!

Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.

20 billion Celsius, impressive!
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Thats hot!
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

No, that's waay cool
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Is now a good time to invest in tungsten?
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I'm not sure it qualifies as a breakthrough until they actually know how they did it......
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'm not sure it qualifies as a breakthrough until they actually know how they did it......
            Are you suggesting their termometers failed several times?

Read thread title closely.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Interesting. Hopefully, its not an error.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: Possible breakthrough in energy source research!

Originally posted by binTravkin

20 billion Celsius, impressive!
                It was only 2 billion degrees, but that's also pretty hot of course, would scare off all but the most experienced sauna bathers

To be honest, I suspect the energy output was just an artefact of some sorts, but if it's real:
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Oops, me bad

Well, they said they repeated it several times, so I doubt it's an artefact.

"At first, we were disbelieving," said project leader Chris Deeney. "We repeated the experiment many times to make sure we had a true result."

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                    Well, they said they repeated it several times, so I doubt it's an artefact.
                    What I mean by "artefact" is not that they made an error or misread the data, but rather that there probably is some flaw in the method. If so, they will get the same (flawed) results even if they repeat the experiment a thousand times.
                    We'll just have to wait for them to figure out what the hell was happening

Comment

Comment

Well, if a flaw results in yet unseen and unable to being explained by existing theoretical basis, results, then this flaw is a discovery itself.

Comment

Indeed

Comment

"One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions."
                            Anyone can explain to me, how in nuclear reactions, more energy are releasing than the originally put in?

Thanks!
                            bleh

Comment

Anyone can explain to me, how in nuclear reactions, more energy are releasing than the originally put in?

Thanks!
                              But please!

Look at the Sun.

Comment

Working...
                              X