No announcement yet.

Supreme Court slaps down crazy Colleges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try commerce clause for any univeristy that charges tution and allows out of state students.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I don't agree with you guys. I say that to preserve academic integrity and independence, federal money has to be unconditional (outside of being an university).
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
        I don't agree with you guys. I say that to preserve academic integrity and independence, federal money has to be unconditional (outside of being an university).
        But what they are doing has nothing to do with academics.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Oh sure. You don't see any sort of implicit connection between academic independence and on-campus military recruitment?

Comment

If Congress can spend on anything it wants, why does the Constitution limit Congress to a couple dozen or so duties? Congress has the power to establish a postal system, the Constitution says so. But why? According to you they can spend money on anything. Explain...

There is no contradiction. If the duties are to legislate, to tax, and to spend the budget, then the Congress can legislate, spend the money, and tax however it sees fit. Those are its duties.

I fail to see where you get the notion that there is some grand limit. For example:

From section 8:

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

Given also that the constitution can be ammended, this simple statement pretty much covers most laws.

More important, its necessary for you to examine the LIMITS on congressional power declared by the Consitution. And the limits are there, but are few.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Oh sure. You don't see any sort of implicit connection between academic independance and on-campus military recruitment?
              No. What is the connection?
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Don't be silly. It's a cheap shot to show who's in control... you don't let our boys on the campus, you don't get money.

Comment

Don't be silly. It's a cheap shot to show who's in control... you don't let our boys on the campus, you don't get money.
                  Doesn't academic independance also allow the schools to NOT TAKE the money if the rider is that odious?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You realize most recruiters are out of shape guys who really can't do much else? They are stuck in a dead in job. It's not really intimidating. And there is one or two per campus at most much of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Doesn't academic independance also allow the schools to NOT TAKE the money if the rider is that odious?
                      Yep, the schools don't have a right to the money and Congress doesn't have an obligation to give it. Politicians do it because it wins votes but the bottom line is they can attach any requirements they want. The schools have the option of not taking the money or taking the money and following the rules.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

and congress should follow the rules and not hand out other people's money to someone because they run a school

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                          and congress should follow the rules and not hand out other people's money to someone because they run a school
                          It's not "other people's money" once Congress picks them up by the ankles, shakes them, and snatches up all the coin and currency that falls out of their pockets.

Remember:

Congress shall have the power to lay [in wait] for taxes.

Comment

Berserker --
                            Let me see if I understand your position. The first clause in Section 8 is:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
                            So "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises" is a power of Congress.

" to pay the Debts" May be a power, if the debts were rightfully incurred, i.e. spent on the few things Congress can spend money on.

"provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States" Not a power.

"all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States" a limitation, not a power [I agree with you on this last].

Except for that last phrase, why are some portions of that clause powers and others merely scribbling?

Since Section 8 only specifically mentions the army and navy, does this mean the Air Force and the Coast Guard are unconstitutional?

Comment

I suppose I could tell my roommate (I live in his house) that I want everything that goes with the convenience of living with him without any expectations from him to contribute towards household chores, helping with utility/living expenses, and so forth.

Following your logic, you think the universities that receive aid from the government should be able to get a free ride without obligations -- I could apply that fallacious logic with my living situation.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

There is no arguing with fallacious logic.

Comment

Working...
                                X