No announcement yet.

Bush, Chertoff warned about catastrophe and possible levee breaches - new video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure some men had a hand in the issues as well, Oerdin.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      The one thing I don't like this is that the AP said Bush had been warned about the levees being "breached," when Bush actually was warned about them being "topped."
      I agree. It was my impression that all previous catastrophy models regarding Hurricanes of class 3-4 or greater were looking at the potential of lake Pontchantrain flooding from tidal surges overflowing the levees. The point of levees actually failing and breaking I think is quite another matter.

Regardless the admin gets low marks but point that is trying to be made by teh press to show Bush as a lying POS vis a vis Bush's statement "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees" is abit different than saying "I don't think anyone anticipated the levees to be topped".

Point of the matter is in the immediate aftermath of Katrina all was reported as OK that the levees were not in fact topped and not until hours later was the leveee breaking/failing stroy coming to the fore.

All that being said the discussion of levees being topped was a point of concern and justified mobilizing as much resources as required. I doubt highly that they were told to stand down based upon early reports that the levees were not indeed topped. Piss poor crisis management on all levels, local through federal.

It just that this Bush lied meme gets old quickly when the quotes clearly show otherwise.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Levees topped = water spills in the city

Levees breached = water spills in the city

Drown me now or drown me sooner, same thing

Speaking of topped, surely this same amount of leeway (aka legal/semantics mumbo jumbo) was granted when Clinton was getting his dick sucked?
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

From the AP on this point (via Drudge). Pretty underhanded printing the "clarification" on Friday night and thereby burying it.

AP FRIDAY NIGHT CLARIFICATION ON BUSH/KATRINA VIDEO
          Fri Mar 03 2006 19:48:29 ET

Clarification: Katrina-Video story
          ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) _ In a March 1 story, The Associated Press reported that federal disaster officials warned President Bush and his homeland security chief before Hurricane Katrina struck that the storm could breach levees in New Orleans, citing confidential video footage of an Aug. 28 briefing among U.S. officials.

The Army Corps of Engineers considers a breach a hole developing in a levee rather than an overrun. The story should have made clear that Bush was warned about floodwaters overrunning the levees, rather than the levees breaking.

The day before the storm hit, Bush was told there were grave concerns that the levees could be overrun. It wasn't until the next morning, as the storm was hitting, that Michael Brown, then head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Bush had inquired about reports of breaches. Bush did not participate in that briefing.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Speaking of topped, surely this same amount of leeway (aka legal/semantics mumbo jumbo) was granted when Clinton was getting his dick sucked?

Ogie has a hobby of splitting hairs over semantic nonsense.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              From the AP on this point (via Drudge). Pretty underhanded printing the "clarification" on Friday night and thereby burying it.

AP FRIDAY NIGHT CLARIFICATION ON BUSH/KATRINA VIDEO
              Fri Mar 03 2006 19:48:29 ET

Clarification: Katrina-Video story
              ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) _ In a March 1 story, The Associated Press reported that federal disaster officials warned President Bush and his homeland security chief before Hurricane Katrina struck that the storm could breach levees in New Orleans, citing confidential video footage of an Aug. 28 briefing among U.S. officials.

The Army Corps of Engineers considers a breach a hole developing in a levee rather than an overrun. The story should have made clear that Bush was warned about floodwaters overrunning the levees, rather than the levees breaking.

The day before the storm hit, Bush was told there were grave concerns that the levees could be overrun. It wasn't until the next morning, as the storm was hitting, that Michael Brown, then head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Bush had inquired about reports of breaches. Bush did not participate in that briefing.
              Sure beats sissy stuff like disgracing a decorated war veteran by Swiftboating him or getting revenge by outting a CIA agent.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

No, no. BIG difference. High tech illustration:

OOOOOOOOOO
                XOOOOOOOOO
                XXOOOOOOOO
                XXXOOOOOOO
                XXXOOOOOOO

Where "X" equals levee and "O" equals water (Lake Ponchatrain) and New Orleans is to the left.

The top row is what goes into the city if the levee is topped which everyone knew would happen. ALL the rows go into the city if the levee is breached.

The pumps could handle the water if it was topped and did so, they started failing after the levee got breached as they couldn't keep up anymore.

Comment

I'm sure they "could" have.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Ogie has a hobby of splitting hairs over semantic nonsense.
                    You'll note I did not argue that teh Feds and others needed to be at the ready with all available resources in case flooding occurred by the mechanism they thought would happen (that being levees being overflowing). And it would seem they were ill prepared to handle even that eventuality.

But as Genghis Farb illustrates a completely different kettle of fish and level of catastrophe then when levees out an out fail.

But fortunately we can always count on the knee jerk hate Bush crowd to keep us abreast of each and every mischaracterization.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

..., same thing
                      Nope, different by SEVERAL ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE in the amount of flood water, damage, and hazard to life to deal with.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Alright, that's all valid.

But there is still a great deal of damaging material on that video. Bush never asks questions. Michael Brown, an Administration scapegoat (who, it is true, was way out of his league in the aftermath) seems to be taking this job very seriously, to a point that Bush doesn't seem to be taking it. Concerns about dealing with, among other things, the Superdome.

This shouldn't all be just swept under the rug because an AP editor made a headline error.
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

How involved should a president get with operational issues?

'The buck stops here' is a great line, but in reality the president shouldn't be solving every problem but making sure that he has the right people in place to solve the problems for him
                          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

With an issue this big, he shoulda been asking questions and mobilizing resources. Like Brownie, however, he's outta his depth.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                              Nope, different by SEVERAL ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE in the amount of flood water, damage, and hazard to life to deal with.
                              Nope, once the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in it's all moot at that point. Those levees could not handle the amount of water coming in, breached or not.

Despite what your talk radio shows are telling you guys.

Comment

Actually, topping leads to breaching in very rapid order. So if they expected it to top, they should have expected it to breach. That's what caused the first breach, actually. The second breach was caused by subsidence; the water weighed more than the earth trying to hold is back, so the earth gave.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X