No announcement yet.

I have some malware, Winfixer, and Ad Aware is crashing my system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always buy a new computer if it doesn't work out.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
      come on, is it okay just to delete the folder?
      Probably not. It can be resident in a number of places or pop up elsewhere.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

er thanks.......
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Try deinstalling in Safe Mode. If that fails, try to "acquire" the CD.

Comment

Z your advice has been great, thanks
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              You know, the people who make spyware, adware and malware are the same people who make spyware blockers. It's a racket. They sell the offending programs to marketers, then sell the cure to consumers. They then sell more sophisticated programs to the marketers and turn around and sell new protection to the consumers.

You know, one of the peopel who make spyware ended up winning the gold medal for Australia, doing just that, causing pop-ups, then later offereing a pop-up blocker to stop it

Winfixxer was always difficult when I was working inthe industry. It infects a windows file, that if erased, can crash the system (wininet.dll was it? I can't remember, it was long ago), and this fiel is required by many scanners to run properly.

We usually had to write a custom cleaner for it.
              Pentagenesis for Civ III
              Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
              Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

the main ad ware killers are onto it now

I'm looking for a free good registry cleaner

Comment

Easycleaner: http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

It's my personal favorite. It's very easy (duh), but also not very aggressive so you don't run a chance it'll "overdelete".

If you're looking for a more preventive solution for the future, look into Regprot: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

It monitors your registry and warns you when some application tries to enter information into the registry.
                  And it's Australian

Comment

I think Tea Timer (part of Spybot S&D) also monitors writes to the registry.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Tea Timer does monitor the registry, but not to a great extent. Besides, it takes 5 MB of memory to run Tea Timer, while Regprot only uses 120 KB

Comment

Working...
                      X