Harper begins plan to Americanized Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harper begins plan to Americanized Canada

Mr. Justice Marshall Rothstein of the Federal Court of Appeal has been nominated to fill the vacant seat on Canada's highest court, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Thursday.

The Winnipeg-born jurist will also make Canadian history as the first appointee to face a public, all-party review before being formally named to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The final verdict on the appointment rests with Mr. Harper, who is expected to make his decision within days of Monday's hearing.

A sad day for the Canadian judiciary. Having parliamentary hearings on his appointment will only lead to intense politicizing of the selection process.
    Golfing since 67

Well, at least Americanization will work somewhere
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Yes, it is indeed tragic that elected representatives get to examine someone appointed by the prime minister, usually one of his cronies.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Does that include plans for complete unification?
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Over my dead body. Literally.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, there's till hope for you, then.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Gee, thanks. I've always craved your approval.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Yes, it is indeed tragic that elected representatives get to examine someone appointed by the prime minister, usually one of his cronies.
                It's not going to make a whit of difference, as the prime minister is the head of the majority in a parliamentary system. Currently you don't have a minority or coalition government, so the only potential trouble is a lot of PC representatives breaking rank.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I see our plans for democratizing Canada are finally taking hold.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

A canadian view
                    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

What, was the prior system better? At least now Parliament gets to find out about the nominee. Maybe reveal some decision or strain of thought that the PM wasn't aware of before and may change his mind.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

From binTravkin's 'a canadian view':

New Prime Minister Stephen Harper has tried to satisfy his base with some token reforms to the process, but overall it's pretty thin gruel. He will still appoint a judge unilaterally, but before said judge will take office he or she will attend a one time, three hour committee hearing, composed of appointed members of parliament. Like in the US, the hearing will be televised, but unlike in the US the committee will not have veto power. Indeed, they will not even be allowed to give an opinion on the Prime Minister's nominee at all.

One might ask "so what's the point," and one would have a very good point indeed.
                        Indeed, "indeed".

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          Over my dead body. Literally.
                          That can be arranged
                          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

It's not going to make a whit of difference, as the prime minister is the head of the majority in a parliamentary system. Currently you don't have a minority or coalition government, so the only potential trouble is a lot of PC representatives breaking rank.
                            Actually, we do have a minority government, but thanks for playing.

You're right, though, that it won't make much difference, but not for the reason you laid out. The power to appoint justices is still solely in the hands of the PM. I suppose Harper could withdraw the nomination if he took enough heat for it, but there is nothing that actually forces him to do so.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It is window dressing. The questions will not be about issues on which the nominee could potentially rule. What we will get are questions which will be biographical in nature. Big whoop.

Keep in mind, Rothstein is from the last government's short list.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X