Cannibalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannibalism

Cannibalism seems to be taboo, but there is no reason for this. Of course I am not talking about killing another human being and then eating the flesh. That involves more than cannibalism.

We humans are omnivores, so we eat dead bodies all the time, just not those of humans.

The only thing I can think of is cannibalism reminds a person of his own mortality. Or perhaps some kind of deep-seated wish of "remaining whole" after you are dead, even though you know this is not going to happen. We will all end up as bug food.

What do you think?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I can't explain it....but I'm cognisant that some people who've been forced to turn to canniblism (e.g the survivors of the Essex sinking or the Donner Party) have had mental breakdowns afterwards.

Comment

Well it's not really wise. Humans are top of the food chain, long lived, and eat a lot of crap, this surely leads to toxin buildups.
      I can think of much healthier things to eat than dead humans.

Babies and small children are probably okay though.

Comment

Are you from this world?

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

I can think of much healthier things to eat than dead humans.

Girl Scout cookies
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Cannibalism seems to be taboo, but there is no reason for this.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, other than prion diseases and a much larger array of human-infectious diseases than any other meat source...
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It was funny in my Social Studies class at high school, we did this mock court case thing (in a real court!), the scenario being 3 sailors on a life raft, who ran out of food, the prosecution claims that 2 of them killed and ate the 3rd.

I was called up by the defense as an expert in Cannibalism and used the "Toxin buildups would cause insanity if they consumed human flesh" argument.

The jury found the defendants innocent of cannibalism, but guilty of sodomizing a corpse.
                Teenage males .

Comment

It was funny in my Social Studies class at high school, we did this mock court case thing (in a real court!), the scenario being 3 sailors on a life raft, who ran out of food, the prosecution claims that 2 of them killed and ate the 3rd.
                  Based on a real English case, btw .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And featured in an episode of CSI: Miami.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Babies and small children are probably okay though.
                      Babies are much too fatty for anyone on a health-conscious diet, but small children -- esepcially those from the suburbs who don't exercise much -- are indeed excellent.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

-What's the matter with Johnson, sir?
                        -Well, he's not kosher.
                        -That depends on how we kill him, sir.
                        -Yes, that's true. But to be perfectly frank I...I like my meat a little more lean. I'd rather eat Hodges.
                        -Oh well, all right.
                        -I still prefer Johnson.
                        -I wish you'd all stop bickering and eat me.

Comment

Toxin buildups and diseases are good reasons. These are scientific reasons, though, not moral/ethical ones.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

eating people is nasty

immoral? amoral?

I don't care

it's more of the gaminess of the meat that even pomigranate juice can't over come... Come On! You can't even brine human flesh to tendorness... possibly youngins who don't move much, but adults? Too tough
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

In pretty much all cannibal cultures, there weren't enough larger animals around for the protein.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X