Free Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Will

Someone please convince me that free will exists. If I can't reconcile this, I'll probably drive myself so completely insane that I come to fervently believe anything just so that I don't have to believe the alternative.

Or rather, the forces of the universe will construct things in such a way so that I will go insane and bla bla bla.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

It does, in the sense that it is only as predictable as chaos itself is, which shakes things up, adds a bit of randomness
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why would we have crazy people if free will didn't exist?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

... no, wait, this isn't an ad-bot.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

... no, wait, this isn't an ad-bot.
          What?

Comment

His name does look a bit like L'Oréal ...
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

"Free Will, because you're worth it!"

Comment

What?

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                  "Free Will, because you're worth it!"
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't beleive in free will and I haven't gone crazy.

Comment

Re: Free Will

Originally posted by Lorizael
                      Someone please convince me that free will exists. If I can't reconcile this, I'll probably drive myself so completely insane that I come to fervently believe anything just so that I don't have to believe the alternative.

Or rather, the forces of the universe will construct things in such a way so that I will go insane and bla bla bla.
                      I'd buy that for a dollar.
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Oh, free will exist, but it is usually controlled by circumstances .
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                          Why would we have crazy people if free will didn't exist?
                          Because the unpredictable circumstances of the universe molded them into craziness.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                            I don't beleive in free will and I haven't gone crazy.
                            If you don't believe in free will, what value do you attach to... anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              If you don't believe in free will, what value do you attach to... anything.
                              The value that Fate requires me to attach to it.

The whole "do I have free will" debate is just as pointless as the "am I a brain in a jar" debate. So maybe I'm a brain in a jar -- who gives a damn? I'll never be able to prove one way or the other whether I'm a brain in a jar, so I might as well just assume that I'm not a brain in a jar and get on with my life.

If you don't have free will, then we'll never be able to convince you that you have free will if Fate dictates that you believe that you don't have free will. So we're not going to waste our time in the endeavor, unless Fate dictates that we're supposed to waste our time swaying you from a point of view from which Fate has dicated that we cannot dissuade you. Round and round we go, until eventually one of us passes out from consuming too much alcohol.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X