Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratko Mladic arrested

UPDATE: FALSE ALARM, HE IS NOT ARRESTED

BELGRADE (Reuters) - Top Bosnian Serb war crimes fugitive General Ratko Mladic has been arrested, the official Serbian news agency Tanjug on Tuesday quoted a local television station in Bosnia's Serb Republic as saying.

No immediate confirmation of the report was available.

Tanjug said TV BN reported the wartime Bosnian Serb Army commander had been taken into custody in the Serbian capital Belgrade and was being transferred via the northeast Bosnian city of Tuzla to the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague.

An earlier report by Belgrade's "Studio B" television said Mladic had been located "in the area of Tuzla", which lies close to the mountainous border with Serbia.

Mladic was indicted in 1995 for genocide for the 43-month siege of Sarajevo which claimed 12,000 lives and for orchestrating the 1995 massacre of some 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica, the worst atrocity in Europe since World War Two.

Last edited by Gangerolf; February 21, 2006, 13:40.
    CSPA

About. Friggin'. Time.

Now, if they could just get Radovan Karadzic as well.

Comment

nerazumem so did they capture him in Tuzla or in Belgrade? Kind of interesting if it was in Belgrade. Or maybe not, what do I know.
      CSPA

Comment

It's a bit unclear at this point. Also, a Serbian government spokesman denies reports that Mladic has been arrested. And the Serbian government would know for sure, of course..

Comment

stupid reuters

Mladic 'being pursued in Bosnia'

Gen Mladic has been indicted over the 1995 Srebrenica massacre
          An operation is under way to arrest top Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect General Ratko Mladic, according to Serbian media reports.

Belgrade's Studio B television said Gen Mladic had been located "in the area of Tuzla", near Bosnia's mountainous border with Serbia.

Belgrade has however denied reports that he has been apprehended.

The international tribunal in The Hague wants to put Gen Mladic on trial for war crimes including genocide.

The court has indicted him over the siege of Sarajevo and the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, in which at least 7,500 Muslim men and boys were killed.

Gen Mladic was Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic's army chief throughout the Bosnian war.

International pressure has been mounting for his capture. The European Union warned Belgrade last month that moves towards its eventual membership in the club would be halted if it failed to hand him over.

But the government has strenuously denied reports that he has been arrested.

"The news about Ratko Mladic is not correct. It is a manipulation which damages the government and does not contribute to its efforts to fully complete its cooperation with The Hague," spokesman Srdjan Djuric said.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

well hopefully they'll get him soon without anyone getting hurt
          CSPA

Comment

about time to close that chapter

--edit...

oh well.... I guess not yet
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

FVCK, almost fell off my chair

Don't pull my leg like this Gangerolf

Comment

It's Reuters' fault

or actually, it's TV BN's fault
                CSPA

Comment

Damn I soooo hoped they have the sucker!
                  Blah

Comment

Comment

I read something about "Serbian security guys negotiating his surrender" here , so maybe there's still hope.
                      Blah

Comment

Seems my skepticism on seeing the thread title was justified ...
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Late Wednesday night, while Serbian government sources and the War Criminal Court in the Hague both denied that Mladic is under arrest, "military sources" insist, according to Jyllands-Posten, that Mladic was arrested in Belgrade and that he is currently held at an international military base near Tuzla, awaiting "secret" transfer to the Hague in a matter of days from now. This information conforms with reports from several Serbian and Bosnian media.

According to the paper, most observers are of the opinion that "something highly unusual" is going on with regard to Mladic, and that his extradition to the Hague is likely to be "imminent".

Comment

Sava will come and start defending Slobo in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                              Sava will come and start defending Slobo in 3... 2... 1...
                              I imagine Serb would have a soft spot for Serbs.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                              X