Public Restrooms and Gender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smiley

I'm talking about fully enclosed rooms, not some partition that stops at around 6'-2" with gaps between door and structure.

ah, ok
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

New York Wants Shorter Waits for Women's Toilets
      Reuters ^ | 12/04/03

A harsh inequity of being a woman is suffering long lines at public toilets while men come and go with barely any delay. Now New York wants to do something about it.

New York's City Council introduced legislation on Wednesday that would double the number of public bathrooms for women by making it mandatory that large buildings and public spaces have a two-to-one ratio of women's to men's rooms.

"For too long now women have had to stand in line and watch our male counterparts traipsing through restrooms with ease while we waste valuable time waiting in line to use that convenience," said the bill's sponsor, Yvette Clarke, a Democratic councilwoman from Brooklyn.

The Restroom Equity Bill requires all renovations and new construction in New York to provide more women's bathrooms in all public areas. The measure is not intended for small establishments with just one men's room and one women's room.

The bill means some men's rooms could become women's -- meaning stadiums and theaters could change men's toilets into women's rather than building new facilities.

Clarke told reporters at City Hall that the change could benefit men too.

"For men it's a plus for you, too, because many of you stand holding our packages while we are waiting in line to use the restrooms," she said. "We don't have the same type of equipment that you men have and it requires gentle procedures. At certain times that's much more time consuming."

If passed by the City Council the new rules would become law within six months.
      I've never done any traipsing, but the "package" goes on the floor/bench/seat/table/whatever.

No lines.
      Last edited by Pyrodrew; February 21, 2006, 01:42.

Comment

now I'm really glad I don't live in New York. Believe me, at a football game, there is definately a line at the restroom (unless you like to use the restroom during the best parts of the game).

I'm no expert of women (as you all know), but I don't understand why their physiology requires them to take a longer time taking a piss or a dump. Yeah I know they have to sit down, and sometimes their weird outfits and clothing make this difficult.

I guess I'm glad I'm not a woman.

Comment

I'm talking about fully enclosed rooms, not some partition that stops at around 6'-2" with gaps between door and structure.
          He's responding to your "efficiency" remark
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Besides, there are some efficiency gains if the bathrooms are properly sized (as in slightly larger womens' rooms) since urinals are used only by men
            As MrFun said, there's no efficiency issue with combining both into a single room
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Where's Kuci?

No thread about bathrooms could possibly be complete without his expert comments.

Comment

woman have to wait forever for their bathrooms, so us guys are glad to have our own

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah, not having to wait in line behind women is a secondary consideration...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In France there are many mixed bathrooms in public places.

France
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      woman have to wait forever for their bathrooms, so us guys are glad to have our own

JM
                      From an architectural standpoint, this is a good reason why there should be separate restrooms.

Women have to wait longer, because restrooms are generally designed in such a way that the area for either restroom is equally big. However, the women's restroom needs to be bigger than the men's to accomodate an equal number of simultaneous users.

A shared facility makes design more difficult. Estimating the amount of simultaneous users and the proportional difference between males and females is a lot more difficult then.

Edit: I'm not an advocate of sacrificing men's lavatories for women's though, because it'd just cause a lot of confusion.

Comment

From my experience, men tend not to use urinals when women begin to squat their bathrooms. As a result, men take much longer to take their pee

Separate bathrooms
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

You can be so romantic

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I don't think i've even seen a urinal with separate stalls, ever. Is it so terrifying for a man to perhaps get an involuntary view of anothers member? I think not, it's not even an issue. The largest urinal i've been to is the one at the football ground, the smell of urine dating from the fifties when it was built, a long gutter to pee in basically. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?
                            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

That already is more complicated than it needs to be; ever here of a tree?
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I've been in coed restrooms in colleges, and some girls just freak if a guy is in there.
                                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                                X