Public Restrooms and Gender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Restrooms and Gender

I don't find anything wrong with separate restrooms for men and women so it's more of a trivial curiousity question.

Here in United States and I suspect in most countries in the world -- there are separate public restrooms for men and women.

My curiousity question is -- what is the rationale behind separate restrooms for the two genders?

For one thing, if we had one public restroom for both genders, women would still have privacy in the closed stalls and men can still do their business at the urinals or in the closed stalls as well.

So enligthen me on this all-important question on which the fate of the world hinges.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

so women can fart without seeming unwomanly. Who really wants to hear/smell a really hot woman take a noisy, smelly dump?

or men can fart without annoying their woman. Though some men like doing this- I can't fart in front of women- but I've also never been married...

And the possibilities of sexual harrassment... Ever see a drunk woman in the men's restroom at a club? Lots of sexual harrassment there. I may guilty of that myself. . But I was drunk too, so I have a valid excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      so women can fart without seeming unwomanly. Who really wants to hear/smell a really hot woman take a noisy, smelly dump?

or men can fart without annoying their woman. Though some men like doing this- I can't fart in front of women- but I've also never been married...

And the possibilities of sexual harrassment... Ever see a drunk woman in the men's restroom at a club? Lots of sexual harrassment there. I may guilty of that myself. . But I was drunk too, so I have a valid excuse.

So the rationale is to cut down on harrassment and perhaps even rape? Such opportunities can arise in so many other places and circumstances though.

Comment

The answer to this is self-evident to anybody except a gay man or a woman.

Women think that there are separate bathrooms so that they can have privacy from prying males.

Men know that there are separate bathrooms so that there's one place in the world they don't have to listen to a woman talk.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You can be so romantic
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Since bathrooms cannot have surveillance, there is the security issue. Besides, there are some efficiency gains if the bathrooms are properly sized (as in slightly larger womens' rooms) since urinals are used only by men.

The ideal solution, of course, is the single toilet bathroom. These would be located off of a hallway that doubles as a sink area. Everyone should have at least five.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

and urinals are not exactly private. Some places don't even have the small walls on either side of the urinal. And at this one whorehouse in the Carribean all they had was a pit in the floor for the men to piss in. That was probably the least private urinal I have seen. . Although it's safe to say that the whorehouse did not cater to many women customers. They didn't have a women's restroom.

Comment

I take there was at least an employee restroom somewhere?
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

More than likely it's a combination of puritanism and safety. Sexual assaults in bathrooms are not uncommon, and made less common primarily by the fact that a man in a woman's bathroom is an obvious clue that something's wrong; multisex bathrooms would increase that risk greatly.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I would imagine so. . I'm a little foggy on the details. In the U.S. the girls usually have their own restroom. but I think here they just had a sing, and then a common restroom at the end of the hall for the "employees" to use.

Perhaps I'm revealing too much information here. . I tend to do that. All this was in the name of research, mind you. I was writing a book on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                      Since bathrooms cannot have surveillance, there is the security issue. Besides, there are some efficiency gains if the bathrooms are properly sized (as in slightly larger womens' rooms) since urinals are used only by men.

The ideal solution, of course, is the single toilet bathroom. These would be located off of a hallway that doubles as a sink area. Everyone should have at least five.

Newflash -- urinals AND private stalls are in the same public restrooms as they are now.

So there would be no problem in this instance, with gender-integrated public restrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        More than likely it's a combination of puritanism and safety. Sexual assaults in bathrooms are not uncommon, and made less common primarily by the fact that a man in a woman's bathroom is an obvious clue that something's wrong; multisex bathrooms would increase that risk greatly.
                        a common sense answer.

And an even more common sense answer is men don't want to wait in line for slow ass women. . And they have to touch up their makeup all the time... argh.

Do men spend this much time in front of the mirror? I just make sure I don't have snot hanging from my nose or lettuce stuck in my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Newflash -- urinals AND private stalls are in the same public restrooms as they are now.

So there would be no problem in this instance, with gender-integrated public restrooms.
                          I'm talking about fully enclosed rooms, not some partition that stops at around 6'-2" with gaps between door and structure.

Comment

yeah, fully enclosed rooms are the best. At smaller places you work for all the employees use the same restroom, regardless of gender. Only 1 person at at time uses it.

Long as I don't have to see any tampons, I'm okay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

a common sense answer.

These types of answers are allowed in this forum now?

Comment

Working...
                              X