The American Century shows no signs of ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We pay our workers too much

Say, are you, by chance, an owner of a bussiness?

if not, this gem is one of the best examples of what marx was talking about when speaking of class awareness, that I've seen in the last couple of weeks.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
      The west is already in the defensive, and will be overrun soon.

*hides*
      Speak for yourself, European!
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Az
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The posts by MrFun and Az are some of the best examples of comprehension difficulties I've seen in the last few days.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
            Common goals are nothing unless the other players ante up and start pulling their weight. When other countries start offering up the majority of cash and men for UN peacekeeping missions, beyond those in former colonies, then I think we can start getting all cozy with our good buddies. Until then...
            1. The EU countries pay more than the US to the UN.
            2. It's hard to have UN peacekeeping missions in other countries than former colonies when about the entire the world has been a colony at some point.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              OMFG!!
              Compared to the Chinese behemoth that is expected to eclipse everyone in a few years, yes we do pay our workers too much. That's not saying that our workers don't deserve to be paid more, its saying that we can't compete with cheap Chinese labor if we want to keep our standard of living up.

But you just decided to jump to conclusions didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                1. The EU countries pay more than the US to the UN.
                2. It's hard to have UN peacekeeping missions in other countries than former colonies when about the entire the world has been a colony at some point.
                1. No, between France, Germany, Italy, and Spain the donated match is roughly that of the U.S.. I'm not going to get into military peacekeeping monies. And it's not the EU paying the money, it's the individual members of the EU. Big difference.

2. No, the entire world has not been a former colony. Also, the entire world was not a colony of the same nation.

Comment

Lower salaries for better standards of living!
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Harry: OB put his finger on the weakness in your argument. You can't have higher standards of living with lower salaries, so long as the general effects of inflation continue to march on.

You can't outcompete the Chinese on labor price alone. However, you can outcompete by getting more out of your workers than the Chinese do. In some jobs, outcompeting might mean both a lowering of salaries and getting more out of your workers. Other jobs are newer and don't even have effective Chinese competition.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Harry: OB put his finger on the weakness in your argument. You can't have higher standards of living with lower salaries, so long as the general effects of inflation continue to march on.

You can't outcompete the Chinese on labor price alone. However, you can compete by getting more out of your workers than the Chinese do.
                      You guys are not understanding what I'm trying to state. I'm not saying you can have higher standards of living with lower salaries. I'm not making an argument for lowering salaries in the U.S.. I'm not saying that current salary levels in the U.S. are ballooned or bad or evil or liberally soft or anything like that. What I'm saying is that we can't compete with Chinese labor with current salary levels.

The fact is that our wages are just to high to compete based on basic factory labor. The best way that we can compete with China is to use quality over quantity.

Comment

What I'm saying is that we can't compete with Chinese labor with current salary levels.
                        I agree with this, if you restate it as "we can't compete with Chinese labor on price alone.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          I agree with this, if you restate it as "we can't compete with Chinese labor on price alone with current salary levels.
                          Alright, I agree.

We can't compete with Chinese labor on price alone with current salary levels.

But I gotta say, in the near future, the quality of Chinese goods will rise and then we will have a big problem on our hands. It's only a matter of time.

Comment

...So how do we stay ahead of the game? Stay the leader in tech.

Comment

I'm not concerned at all. Manufactured goods represent a very small portion of our economy. And most goods industries are already mostly exposed to Chinese labor price competition anyway. There are some exceptions, of course, such as passenger jets and autos. But these exceptions are exposed to other foreign competitors.

Comment

The posts by MrFun and Az are some of the best examples of comprehension difficulties I've seen in the last few days.

Actually, I comprehended just fine. I just pointed out the undercurrent of the wording.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X