The American Century shows no signs of ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not exactly chump change.
    No doubt. However, since the analyst providing the projection was a banker, it is OK for him to lump NAFTA together, considering that this is what global businesspeople do all the time. The writer is merely repurposing the banker's projections.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Nothing to see here, people, move along...

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The Goldman projection may be correct, but its not clear than anything Lind says follows from it.

Clearly, to remain number 1, weve got incorporate Mexico and Canada, and become a trilingual nation. Too bad about Quebec Indepedence, mes amies. But it will make commuting a lot easier for the Mohawk working on NY skyscrapers.

Im just wondering how Hillary will put together the coalition govt of Democrats, Canadian conservatives, Liberals, and PRI

Of course the Euros might pull a fast one and expand some more themselves.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

DanS, please provide the link!

I'm especially interested if he has any references listed for the figures. If anyone knows where I can find this kind of data (historical estimates of world GDP and countries' shares in it) let me know.

Comment

No charts or anything. I'll check the print edition when I get it...

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              The Goldman projection may be correct, but its not clear than anything Lind says follows from it.

Clearly, to remain number 1, weve got incorporate Mexico and Canada, and become a trilingual nation. Too bad about Quebec Indepedence, mes amies. But it will make commuting a lot easier for the Mohawk working on NY skyscrapers.

Im just wondering how Hillary will put together the coalition govt of Democrats, Canadian conservatives, Liberals, and PRI

Of course the Euros might pull a fast one and expand some more themselves.
              That'll never happen. The best we can hope for is a close hegemony of nations that trade openly with the US. Open borders might be a possibility, but only after an extreme overhaul of border customs across the continent.

What we need is a nice L-4 communications center...

Comment

Comment

That's pretty much wishful thinking in the OP. The US no longer dominates the world economy so it can no longer dictate terms. It will mean we'll just be one of few large players surrounded my medium and light weight players but more and more we're going to need to convince people to work with us towards common goals. The arrogance and unilateralism which is the hallmark of most Republican thinking will no longer be possible.

It will be multipoler all the way and the real question is will American conservatives stop freaking out about international organizations long enough to actually turn NAFTA into something worth while?
                  Last edited by Dinner; February 17, 2006, 17:53.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    That's pretty much wishful thinking in the OP. The US no longer dominates the world economy so it can no longer dictate terms. It will mean we'll just be one of few large players surrounded my medium and light weight players but more and more we're going to need to convince people to work with us towards common goals. The arrogance and unilateralism which is the hallmark of most Republican thinking will no longer be possible.

It will be multipoler all the way and the real question is will American conservatives stop freaking out about international organizations long enough to actually turn NAFTA into something worth while?
                    Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya...

Common goals are nothing unless the other players ante up and start pulling their weight. When other countries start offering up the majority of cash and men for UN peacekeeping missions, beyond those in former colonies, then I think we can start getting all cozy with our good buddies. Until then...

NAFTA is a trade agreement between the US, Canada, and Mexico, not some sort of international body. Remember who started it?

Comment

Trade blocks are how the EU got its start and it is how places like South America (the southern market) and Southeast Asia (ASEAN) are seeking to create economic and political unions (meaning common passport, common currency, common federal government, etc...). I see no reason why NAFTA cannot evolve along similiar lines. Especially since we are talking about predominately christian nations of the western European tradition so there is a lot of common ground to build on.

Singing Kumbaya would be thinking middle eastern states could be trusted in such a union or believing the utterly destitute nations could integrate. Believing that the US, Canada, and Mexico could form a union similiar to the EU actually seems to have a fair chance of success. What would be needed is the neo-cons and anti-internationalists to be thoroughly discredited first.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        What would be needed is the neo-cons and anti-internationalists to be thoroughly discredited first.
                        Good luck with that.

Anyways, I hardly see Canada or Mexico integrating governments with the US, even in a 100 years. Mexico is still a wee bit pissed about that whole Mexican Cession thing and Canada is not going to let a nation with nearly 300 million hold sway over their 30.

Back to space. Communications, zero-G manufacturing of computer hardware, and entertainment could become the next big push. Hell, you never know if Helium 3 will pan out.

Comment

It strains the abilities of my fertile imagination to envision the US, Mexico and Canada having any sort of political union.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                            We pay our workers too much

OMFG!!
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The west is already in the defensive, and will be overrun soon.

*hides*
                              Blah

Comment

Seriously, I want to know how some people come to the conclusion that lower-class workers are paid too much when they have low quality of life/standard of living??

On a similar note, has anyone read the book, "Nickeled and Dimed" (I think that's the title)? I'm thinking about borrowing it from a library to read it.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X