Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIAA now says making backups is illegal

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

So now making backups is not fair use anymore, according to them.
    Ignoring those particular laws is now obligatory for me, I guess. It's not like they can do anything other than huff and puff and sue a miniscule fraction of "offenders".

They can KMA.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: RIAA now says making backups is illegal

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

link

So now making backups is not fair use anymore, according to them.
      Not at all. Its just legalspeak protecting the possibility that situations could occur where making a copy was not 'fair use'.

The RIAA are scum but they're not not stupid scum. I watched their last appearance before the senate committee (I forget which one) and IMO the senate is overseeing these issues with more comprehension of the issues than I previously thought. The committee chairman (Stephens) pointed out that he had an iPOD with his music on it converted from other formats. The RIAA clearly stated they had no problems with that.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

We are impleneting a new set of laws, copyright laws, that makes it illegal to make backups, if there is a method of preventing that copying. If there's not, then you can copy it in your own privacy, if it has some preventing methods, to break that method makes it illegal.

Finland has been in the front row, making tough decisions for the last 2 years, that makes me want to leave now and not finish my study first.. but I finish my studies, jsut to stick it to the idiots.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

so no backing up, even for archival purposes?
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

No backing up if there's cd protection or what ever. No Backing Up. The way they argumented the need of this is that most others have this same law too and we can't ignore this new one because EU make us have it. All lies. The minister who drove this case and was the front runner is the former Miss Finland and a lingerie model. Good body, but no one running it.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

pity
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

This was the basis for Sony's ****up.

RIAA can kiss my lilly white.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                X