RIAA now says making backups is illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA now says making backups is illegal

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use."
    link

So now making backups is not fair use anymore, according to them.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

hmm...not surprised... I wonder if this means making copies of music and movies for personal use will be illegal. No mo Tivo? This is another example of punishing everyone to get at the criminals...or pirates...

Comment

I wonder if this means making copies of music and movies for personal use will be illegal.

Only when the RIAA starts making laws.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
        hmm...not surprised... I wonder if this means making copies of music and movies for personal use will be illegal.
        Of course.

You have no rights, mere mortal.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Make a back up, go to prison.

Comment

They're displaying their posterior for all to see, again. Still.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              They're displaying their posterior for all to see, again. Still.
              Do they really want my size 11 boot in there again?
              CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
              Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
              Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
              Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                I wonder if this means making copies of music and movies for personal use will be illegal.

They bought the Republicans years ago and now get to write their own laws. It is the Republican way.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Congress hasn't and never will pass laws to reflect RIAA opinions? Thats a relief, I dont even know what RIAA is, I just assumed it was some bureaucracy. I doubt Congress would go that far, I was just pointing out that consistency requires it.

Comment

EFF isn't biased.

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's tough luck for them, because most civilized countries have enshrined the right to make a backup in the law (meaning any clause claiming otherwise is void).

Actually, a good quantity of software distributed in Canada has illegal clauses in their EULA.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The RIAA reminds me of the Roman Empire in its latest days. Their downfall is inevitable but still they're trying. Let them gesticulate like morons till they rot in hell.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Europe
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

What annoys me about the likes of RIAA is that they seem to care nothing at all that their "solutions" punish honest folk more harshly than the pirates.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              The RIAA reminds me of the Roman Empire in its latest days. Their downfall is inevitable but still they're trying.
                              Quite. The Internet is very good at removing the middleman, and the RIAA is one big, fat, bloated, self-serving middleman.

Comment

Working...
                              X