No announcement yet.

Durga shown drinking whisky ; Hindus plan a peaceful protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong. Buddhists aren't pansies, they're passive-aggressive jerkwads. At least real Buddhists, not the hippie feel-good dumbass western Buddhists.

Eastern Buddhists will set themselves on fire to stick it to the man.
    B♭3

Comment

Setting yourself on fire is the coward's way out

-FACT!
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not cowardly. Passive-Aggressive. Because when you're nothing more than a charred pile of ashes, that's when they'll realize just how wrong they've been.

I'm going to go write in my deadjournal now and cry dark, dark tears.
        B♭3

Comment

Re: Re: Durga shown drinking whisky ; Hindus plan a peaceful protest

Originally posted by Agathon

O RLY?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babri_M...e_Babri_Masjid

Totally irrelevant ( and you forget that the mosque was built on top of a temple ) .

When M.F. Husain ( a Muslim artist ) draws nude pictures of a Hindu goddess , and Hindus protest , but do not try to hurt him , that is restraint and sensibility . When someone insults the Goddess Durga , but Hindus protest peacefully , that is a mark of maturity and restraint . That is relevent . Not the out-of-context junk that you posted just for the hell of it .

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
            Not cowardly. Passive-Aggressive. Because when you're nothing more than a charred pile of ashes, that's when they'll realize just how wrong they've been.

I'm going to go write in my deadjournal now and cry dark, dark tears.
            Personally, as a non-Buddhist, I'd douse the other person in petrol and set fire to them...just before their brain boils, only then they'll realise just how wrong they were
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Buddhists have just as a violent a history as any other religion.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                Buddhists have just as a violent a history as any other religion.
                Here I'd disagree . A Buddhist fundamentalist cannot be violent , or he's not a fundamentalist .

Comment

I could say the same thing about Christian fundamentalists.

The history of Buddhist nations are scared by as much war and oppression as any other country out there.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Actually, aneeshm, Ozzy, my crack about the passive-aggressiveness of those self-immolating monks was just that, a crack.

Buddhist fundamentalists can be quite violent. I submit to you some of the religious strife that occured in East Asia as different dynasties tried to switch between, say, Buddhism or Confucianism.

And there's also the matter of Tibet. While I'm no fan of China's occupation, a good part of the reason why the peasants joined the Maoist revolution is because of the injustices and violence perpetrated on the people by the "Fundamentalist Buddhists".

The reason why nobody thinks the Buddhists are violent is that in recent memory, very few of them have strapped bombs to themselves to go blow up a bus, very few of them spew tracts of hate about the Great Satan. Even Aleph nee Aum Shinrikyo, who were following a literal but twisted form of Buddhism, is ignored in these calculations.

When you get right down to it, fundamentalists are zealots who will cherry pick their scripture to literally allow for their own interpretation. Out go passages on selling daughters to slavery, triple underline passages on how the gays are the evil. Selectively apply the "love thy neighbor" commandment.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Don't mistake soma for alcohol .

And you are confused between Indra and Indira . Indra is the god of gods and thunder and soma . Indira is something else entirely .
                      I'm fairly certain that the ancient Hindus made a type of beer.

Around here soma is a muscle relaxant.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Didn't a group of Tibetian Buddhists conquer China around 1100 AD?
                        Japanese Buddhists were pretty violent during WW2.

Comment

Re: Durga shown drinking whisky ; Hindus plan a peaceful protest

From the Times of India

Another from the Hindustan Times

Both are front page articles .

I just thought that it would be a nice contrast , compared to how certain other communities behave .

I think that this is disgusting . I can understand someone doing a politically motivated cartoon with some point - but this is just crass .
                          India

I support the right of the manufacturers to make and use such images . I would also be one of the people protesting against such use ( as Voltaire said "I may disagree with what you say , but will defend to the death your right to say it " ) .
                          free speech

I'd also like to support the right of Hindus to make and display pictures of naked Jesus drinking , with a number of naked and loose-looking women , doing disgusting things .

That is , I support the right of others to insult Hindus and their gods , and also of the Hindus to retaliate with further insults to the other's God , all being done peacefully . Free speech is something I like - it allows everyone to hit at each other . If others can insult Hinduism , they should not moan when we do the same to them .
                          That's fine but i think that if you are assuming that the manufacturers and conumers of this whiskey are practicing christians (much less christians of the sort who would be much offended by the retaliation you describe) you are mistaken. All fundamentalist christians I've talked to either oppose the consumption of alcohol entirely or at the bare minimum oppose getting drunk and thus tend not to purchase much in the way of hard liquor. Non fundamentalists on the whole probably won't care what kind of anti christian imagery people in india might produce.

And for the record do the offended believers in india really find images of Durga Devi astride a tiger , cradling numerous bottles of booze in her many hands as offensive as they would the making and displaying of pictures of naked Durga Devi drinking , with a number of naked and loose-looking women , doing disgusting things? It almost seems as if your retaliation image might be even more inflamatory than the original offensive imagery (although I admit my example of an offensive Durga Devi doesn't necessarily sound like an unpleasant image to contemplate )
                          Last edited by Geronimo; February 18, 2006, 16:37.

Comment

Wasn't Durga Devi one of Shiva's avatars?

Comment

Working...
                            X