• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durga shown drinking whisky ; Hindus plan a peaceful protest

From the Times of India

European Hindus protest offending whiskey ad

By Rashmee Roshan Lall/TNN

London : European Hindus have joined with their American counterparts to fight the so-called 'whiskey wars' against an American manufacturer's controversial attempt to advertise its tipple through images of Durga Devi astride a tiger , cradling numerous bottles of booze in her many hands .

The advertisment for Southern Confort whiskey , denounced as "blasphemous and sacreligious" by British Hindus , was first glimpsed at a discotheque in the Greek capital Ahtens .

Bimal Krishna Das of the UK's National Council of Hindu Temples ( NCHT ) told TOI on Monday that the whiskey manufacturer appeared to be "offending , insulting and denigrating Hindu culture , they are mocking Hinduism ."

The NCHT , which claims support from the umbrella Hindu American Foundation , has warned that it will launch large-scale protests if Southern Comfort does not respond to its appeal to withdraw the Durga adverts .

The NCHT , which represents 90 of the UK's 140 Hindu temples and by extension at least 75 per cent of Britain's estimated 600,000 Hindus , said it was time for Hindus around the world and the Indian government to stand up and be couted . "Many Hindus in north India revere Durga mata ," said Das , adding that Western manufacturers still appeared to ride roughshod over Hindu sentiment .

The NCHT complained that New Delhi has never supported Hindu campaigns against the succession of sacrilegious marketing impulses of big companies around the world . "Now ," said Das , "it was time for a change of stance ."

The Hindu 'whiskey wars' come just a year after the successful "bikini battle" waged by the NCHT and other European Hindu groups against designer Roberto Cavalli's religiously-enriched images on his swimwear and lingerie range .
    Another from the Hindustan Times

After toon row , it's Hindu diety

Vijay Dutt

London , February 13

A disco bar in Greece has invited angry reactions from the Indian community by prominently displaying a poster of Goddess Dirga promoting a whisky barnd .

Large posters inside and outside the Balon Oriental Disco Bar in Athens depict the goddess carrying bottles of Southern Comfort Whisky . "The Indian community in Athens have been trying for the last three months to have the posters removed . But they have totally ignored us ," says Paramjit Singh , originally from Jalandhar , now settled in Greece .

The Hindu community in Britain is also gearing uo to join the campaign against the posters .

Biman Krishna Das , general secretary of the National Council of Hindu Temples ( UK ) , says letters have been sent to the manufacturers of Southern Comfort Whisky in Tennessee in America to withdraw and burn the offending posters .

"The poster is not only deeply offensive , but plasphemous in Hindu eyes ," says Das . "It has hurt the religious sentiments of both Hindus and Sikhs ."

"To portray the goddess in any context other than the most reverential one is totally unacceptable . If such a barrage of insluts to our ancient religion continues , I expect we will see organised , but peaceful , protests ," he says .

The protests will definitely be massive because the National Council of Hindu Temples ( UK ) is an umbrella body which links Hindu temples and works with them for the benefit of the Hindu community in Britain . "We will ensure a very peaceful , but forceful campaign ," sayd Das , adding that it would include a protest march in London .

This is not the first time Hindu deities have been used to promote products . There have been cases of manufacturers using them to promore products like shoes , commode seats , sandals , and cakes - angering the Hindu community .
    Both are front page articles .

I just thought that it would be a nice contrast , compared to how certain other communities behave .

I think that this is disgusting . I can understand someone doing a politically motivated cartoon with some point - but this is just crass .

I support the right of the manufacturers to make and use such images . I would also be one of the people protesting against such use ( as Voltaire said "I may disagree with what you say , but will defend to the death your right to say it " ) . I'd also like to support the right of Hindus to make and display pictures of naked Jesus drinking , with a number of naked and loose-looking women , doing disgusting things .

That is , I support the right of others to insult Hindus and their gods , and also of the Hindus to retaliate with further insults to the other's God , all being done peacefully . Free speech is something I like - it allows everyone to hit at each other . If others can insult Hinduism , they should not moan when we do the same to them .

nm
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

it's Hindu diety

What is it with this word?

Other than that, is there really anything to say on this subject?

It does give me a new idea for an avatar...
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

a hindu diety got used to promote a toilet seat, hindus shouldn't take this **** lying down!
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

@the OP: is this something to be proud of? normal people don't protest this bull.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Durga shown drinking whisky ; Hindus plan a peaceful protest

Originally posted by aneeshm
            Another from the Hindustan Times
            I thought that was just an Oasis song
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

hindus

whiskey

free speech
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This is why nobody gives a damn about Hindus.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                  @the OP: is this something to be proud of? normal people don't protest this bull.
                  True dat. Why protest at all? Get a life and get over it.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Not even when they burn down mosques and lynch a bunch of muslims.
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                      Regardless if you believe in blasphemy laws or not, you have to admit that peaceful protest is far more superior than burning down buildings like muslims are doing.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Have European Muslims burned down anything over the cartoons?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman

In this case even the non-European Hindus havent done that.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                            In general being a member of a small minority group leads to a certain restraint in ones reactions.

Comment

Peace
                              Lime roots and treachery!
                              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Working...
                              X