Freedom House says how free your country is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I think they are being a tad hard on Russia. As one of their essays explains, Russia is a "dominant party" system - a concept FH used in regard to Mexico in the 70s. Is Russia today really more repressive than Mexico circa 1975? Yet Mexico was always rated Partly Free by FH in those days, IIRC.
    The sad thing about Russia is that it's still free enough that Putin and his cronies could still be thrown out, but too many are either brainwashed by propaganda (Serb) or like autocratic leaders since they've allways have autocratic leaders.

Comment

Serb doesn't like autocratic leaders? I'd never guessed.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Slowwhand would not like this map -- it doesn't show Texas as a separate nation.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

The sad thing about Russia is that it's still free enough that Putin and his cronies could still be thrown out, but too many are either brainwashed by propaganda (Serb) or like autocratic leaders since they've allways have autocratic leaders.
          The thing is that if you're brainwashed you aren't really free. In this case though, I don't think it's really brainwashing (except in Serb's case of course), it's that most Russians don't really have any political options that they can trust.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Here's a good example of how it's difficult to judge freedom. Even though they rate Russia as "not free" they say that academic freedom is "generally" respected. How can you have academic freedom when the govt is sending inocent people to freedom, even if it was just a couple of people. Sending inocent people to prison sends a message.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Once again, Serb never voted for Putin.

What kind of propaganda do you think I'm brainwashed by? Don't you think there could be a slight possibility that I know at least a bit more about Russia, simply because I live in Russia and can see what happens here with my own eyes? You (Westerners) often don't know and don't understand basic, elemental things about Russia. But still you call us brainwashed and think you are smarter than we are, that you know what's going on in our country better, than we - locals do.

Comment

they included tibet
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I wish I knew less about what's going on in Russia .
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I wish I knew less about what's going on in Latvia

Comment

Do you get several Latvian TV channels, do you read Latvian news or any other websites and do you have any relatives in Latvia ?

Comment

The thing is that if you're brainwashed you aren't really free.

Without any connection to the thread: QFT^QFT at the statement above.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hold on just one f**king minute! I clicked on the Falklands and it selected Argentina! I don't damn well think so!
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Islas Malvinas
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                              Do you get several Latvian TV channels, do you read Latvian news or any other websites and do you have any relatives in Latvia ?
                              Thanks God I don't. Had I have any of my relatives living in Latvia and treated as Russian untermenschs, I would invaded and destroy this breeding-ground of hatred a long time ago.

Comment

So you're not my cousin posting on Apolyton? Thank the heavens...

Comment

Working...
                                X