Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID card bill passes

Government staves off ID rebels

Huh. I'd hoped Labour's recent defeat on the religious hatred bill would have set the course for the ID bill to fail as well. But no.

This sort of idiotic busywork is depressing for anyone that thinks that government action can produce useful results. It's an extraordinary, frightening waste of money.

But, it's not over until it's over. One last vote in the House of Lords if I understand correctly from the article?

Comment

Somehow I highly doubt the Lords would block it.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Yeah, just as 24 hour drinking.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

UK'ers are being crybabies about this.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Waste of time and money if you ask me.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

colossal waste of money - me coming from a country where ID was in place since Commie times.

Who wants to cheat the system will be even better equiped to do it now, as they will get a card that 99% of law officers will trust
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                Yeah, just as 24 hour drinking.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth mate....

Comment

the three issues quoted

identity fraud, which is a major, major issue; illegal immigration; organised crime:

identity fraud - even more persuasive I am sure as a huge system is bound to have many holes, and when they ask you for special ID number I am sure that the rings will after a little adjusting find the way to that information. In that respect it might just work for a while

Immigration - just will sink into the black economy.. nothing will change there

organized crime - heh they will probably rejoice the ID card are getting into place, as it will be easiest for them to forge it.

Overall coupled with endemic beaurocratic inefficiency this will be a collosal waste of money to which the Millenium Dome will look like peanuts. They were at least able to sell the Dome as it was a building, this will be a burden to future budgets for good
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The Lords can only slow down the legislation. If Labour's feeling particularly determined to ram this nonsense through, they can invoke the Parliament Act.

And it is an astounding waste of money. Even tax cuts for the rich would be better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                      UK'ers are being crybabies about this.
                      Sometimes I find it unbelievable how eurocoms have no sense of civil liberties at all. It definitely must be a strictly anglo-saxon tradition. Actually it's the only good thing that has ever come out of their puny civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                        Even tax cuts for the rich would be better than this.
                        Well the rich would at least spend that money on services. Gordon Brown what are you thinking. Really it looks like this country is ripe for new government (even Tory one )

Comment

How much will it cost?

Comment

that if the scheme cost £6bn - "a figure that some ministers have talked about" - then public support for it was at "2 to 1 against".

"If you go to the higher figures that the LSE and others have been talking about - £10bn or more - then you move to 8-1 against."

When government talks about 6 bn, it will be at least 12 over next 4/5 years and rising I hope tories sack this idea when they get to power in order to save the tax money I think this will be an appealing part of their future election campaign. Finally a reason why they can appeal to the masses (or the centre voter)

Comment

In the UK, you can be put in jail for a few weeks (I don't know how many) with no justification.

What is that "liberty" you're afraid of losing?
                              "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X