• Show
Clear All

A quality ebook + Project Gutenburg = crazy delicious
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Start your own library. You'll still have to buy your books, but you get to leave them behind and other can benefit.
      That's already what we do with "beach reading," but often we want to keep books for reference or rereading. (My wife's an academic, I'm an ex-academic; we're the kind of people who not only keep books around, but do so for a reason).
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        Thanks but I'll take an old fashioned book over an energy wasting e-book any day.
        I bet that it takes more energy per book to make one out of paper than to download and display one for reading a few times.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Unlike traditional books, you don't actually buy the "books." You only pay to view the contents. For starters, you can't sell them to another person.

Unless they have drastically revised their business model, but I highly doubt it, seeing this is Sony.

You don't have to buy every single book you want to read, you know.

A monitor surface just does not read like a paper surface. Besides, it still doesn't have the resolution.

If you were around in 1900, you would have pointed every reason why cars just would not work out.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            At a minimum, it would push down prices for the classics paperbacks. Those prices are out of hand.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Classics in paperback are expensive?
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Penguin charges like $7 apiece. It's true that you might be able to get them slightly cheaper online. But you're paying the $7 apiece for convenience.

An e-book would be much more convenient than a paperback (it's easily downloaded from any net-enabled computer) and would be free.

In any event, even some 1950s work is coming off copyright soon in some countries, which makes it non-trivial.
                Last edited by DanS; February 16, 2006, 14:22.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  Bingo. And why it makes great economic sense for those interested in reading the classics without paying $5-$7 a copy. Those Penguin bastards make a killing!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Bingo. And why it makes great economic sense for those interested in reading the classics without paying $5-$7 a copy. Those Penguin bastards make a killing!
                    I don't think they make more than a couple of bucks a book, though.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I blame Sir Penguin.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I blame Bush!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I blame Kenny from South Park.

We need to kill him -- again.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                          X