No announcement yet.

The Sony Reader (an ebook revolution?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sony Reader (an ebook revolution?)

Now to date, ebooks have sucked. They've been fairly large, and made of LCD screens which don't really work that well in direct sunlight and the reading surface isn't as easy on the eyes as paper.

Sony's new Reader seems to have solved the problems:

Looks like an actual page and works very well in sunlight. Nice size as well.

At first glance, the Reader is too expensive for most (who is really going to spend $300 [estimated price] or so on an ebook reader?), but the prices should come down (I'd get one for $150 or so) and I think the LCD that can handle direct sunlight well is pretty cool!

Some pics:

Though, also, cheaper ebooks would be a good thing. Right now they are about 80%-90% of paper books. For that price, I'd go paper, but perhaps we'd have the costs driven down... and of course there are plenty of classics which are free use now.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

The da Vinci Code
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I don't see why people would really go for books over audiobooks if you are going to go digital. You can get audio books for under $10 generally...including big names like Dan Brown.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Because audio books are some of the most annoying things on the face of the earth?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          Because audio books are some of the most annoying things on the face of the earth?
          QFT
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

People like me may be a fairly specialized market, but I'd buy one. Why? Because I live overseas in a place without libraries, so every book I want I have to buy; and every book I buy I have to move; and every book I move takes up space in my limited moving allowance. An attractive e-book system with a wide range of available downloads would solve a lot of my problems.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I enjoy running while listening to a book on my Creative Muvo TX FM
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I prefer listening to music while I'm on the treadmill. Something upbeat.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  People like me may be a fairly specialized market, but I'd buy one. Why? Because I live overseas in a place without libraries, so every book I want I have to buy; and every book I buy I have to move; and every book I move takes up space in my limited moving allowance. An attractive e-book system with a wide range of available downloads would solve a lot of my problems.
                  That's a good point. Books aren't lightweight and people who move often may find a device that can carry 80+ books at once (and others, of course can remain on a hard drive... and not take up much space at all) would be a Godsend.

I just would like for the price to go down. I think I'd mostly use it for classics which are in the public domain.

Comment

I have come to believe that I would prefer e-books to cabinets full of dead tree material, so long as the e-book can read normal PDFs and has a lot of storage space. I'm going to give it a shot in the first or second generation.

NB: This is only one of several e-books going to be built using eInk technology. I think Sony's is just a modified version of eInk's hardware reference design. Philips is introducing one as well.

E Ink Holdings Inc. (8069.TWO), based on technology from MIT’s Media Lab, is an ideal display medium for applications spanning eReaders and eNotes, retail, home, hospital, transportation and more, enabling customers to put displays in locations previously impossible. E Ink’s electrophoretic display products make it the worldwide leader for ePaper. It’s low power displays enable customers to reach their sustainability goals, and E Ink has pledged using 100% renewable energy in 2030 and reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2040. E Ink is a member of the Climate Pledge, has joined the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), and has been listed as one of the Asia-Pacific Climate Leaders by the Financial Times, Nikkei and Statista in 2022. Listed in Taiwan's Taipei Exchange (TPEx) and the Luxembourg market, E Ink Holdings is now the world's largest supplier of ePaper displays.
                    Last edited by DanS; February 13, 2006, 22:33.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Cool pics:

Dan, I'm hoping others come out with their readers. Competition will only drive down prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                        I don't see why people would really go for books over audiobooks if you are going to go digital. You can get audio books for under $10 generally...including big names like Dan Brown.
                        Uh...because I can easily read 8-10 times faster than I can listen to somebody speak?
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Even if I'm reading at my slowest pace, I take in better than 2 pages a minute (assuming I'm reading fiction, "light" history or other such subjects), which works out to ~600 wpm or ~5 times faster than the average human voice. I go through a 300 page novel in 2-3 hours. Why would I ever do that when I can listen to some ******* slowly trickle it out over the course of 10 or 12 hours?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah but will this kill lending libraries? (Of course when the price goes down enough)
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              I just would like for the price to go down. I think I'd mostly use it for classics which are in the public domain.
                              Yep; a snazzy piece of new hardware could be just the thing to get me moving on "The Dickens Project."
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X