Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada invented velcro.

Canada > Panini rolls > America.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      They learn about that stuff in America -- at least I've learned about that stuff. Don't see your point...what are India's achievements they don't learn about?
      I think your school may have been exception. Most schools hardly mention India and don't refer to all their mathematical advances.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I had a class called "World Civilizations" my freshman year of high school, in which - among many other things - we studied ancient Indus Valley civilization. Granted, that's not really relevant to cultural knowledge of today's India, but it's something.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
          I had a class called "World Civilizations" my freshman year of high school, in which - among many other things - we studied ancient Indus Valley civilization. Granted, that's not really relevant to cultural knowledge of today's India, but it's something.
          I had a similar class my freshman year of high school called, absurdly, "History of the Non-Western World." IIRC, we spent 1/4 of the year on India, 1/4 on China, 1/4 on Russia, and 1/4 on the Middle East and Africa. It was a pretty dopey course, obviously, but certainly didn't offer any negative views of India or Hinduism; on the contrary, the message was that India was a great civilization, Hinduism was one of the world's great religions, and Indian independence was one of the 20th century's most important events. It might have gotten a little negative near the end of the unit, but I was in high school in the 70s -- not exactly India's finest hour.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

All of that was true of my course as well, save the "Russia" bit. I guess learning about Russia lost a bit of urgency after the Cold War ended.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

At my high school they basically saved History and Social Studies for the coaches to teach, because we had more teams than Phys Ed classes.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
                Hmmm... I'll be the first to admit that I don't think there's necessarily one huge monolithic movement that's totally and completely consistent in its views and such, so I'm sure some branches are very anti-white and anti-multicultural. I'm also a bit confused as to what you mean by "anti-mulitcultural" though?

Of course, you do have scholarly experience, and I think that's a significant part of the movement itself. That said, what experiences have you had "outside the scholarly"? Self-segregation? (there's already a standardized answer to this I'm ready spew out if you want ) the media? There's lots of things I guess, I'm just not particularly sure what you're talking about.
                By anti-multicultiral, I mean against mixed race couples and non-asians engaging in asian customs or cultural activities.

My negative experiences come mostly from some asian-americans I met at Yale. More specifically, those who were concerned with race and attended these rallies I mentioned before. The worst experience I had was when a friend of mine was helping me move into a new apartment. She was korean-american. I had bought a futon from a friend of hers. As we were moving it, she told me that her friend wasn't going to sell it to me because I was white and that she only convinced him because we were friends. Well, you know how I feel about racists. I dropped the damn thing right there and told her I didn't want it. Then we got into a huge argument about how oppressed she is for being Korean. Her only personal example was that someone once confused her for Chinese and told her that her English was good. I'll admit, that wouldn't feel great, but it was nothing compared to what I experienced in China, which I laid on her. I also told her that I thought of her as just an American, which really pissed her off (there was no way I could win). So she followed up with the rally messages of white people stealing asian culture and such. She also told me how bothered she was that a mutual friend who was white was married to a black woman (Damn, there goes my chances with her, I thought ). Anyway, I gave her my anti-racist spiel, and we just left it at that continued to work. All this in front of my new apartment building. The doorman, who later became a good friend of mine, thought we were a couple.

Anyway, it was quite a shock for me because I was completely unaware of such radical movements before this. Although I began noticing it more with others there. Unfortunately, my scholarly knowledge of it is limited to the '60s, and I noticed nothing so vehement. Until that I knew many Asian people (no Indians, though) with whom the issue never came up.

As I asked, I am curious about it. I don't believe that the entire movement is that bad, but I've been reluctant to delve further. What are your comments of self-segregation and the such? I'd like to know more.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  In high school there was hardly anything about India in World History classes. American education is VERY Euro-centric, because, as pointed out that's what most teachers know. It's a vicious circle. Teachers only know about Europe, so they teach that and then future teachers end up only knowing about Europe, etc.

And yeah, nothing really negative about Hinduism at all.
                  Pretty much had the same experience.

It wasn't until I got to college and took elective history classes on non Euro classes that we learned about places outside of West.

Even "World History" is pretty much all about Euro history starting with Egypt, Greece, Roman Empire, Ted Striker Acension to Chief Hoebringer, etc.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

I had a similar class my freshman year of high school called, absurdly, "History of the Non-Western World." IIRC, we spent 1/4 of the year on India, 1/4 on China, 1/4 on Russia, and 1/4 on the Middle East and Africa. It was a pretty dopey course, obviously, but certainly didn't offer any negative views of India or Hinduism; on the contrary, the message was that India was a great civilization, Hinduism was one of the world's great religions, and Indian independence was one of the 20th century's most important events. It might have gotten a little negative near the end of the unit, but I was in high school in the 70s -- not exactly India's finest hour.
                    You and I went to high school at roughly the same time, and I too took a course of the same name in my sophomore year. Unfortunately whereas "Western Civ" (this course's opposite number) was a very carefully balanced stew of most of the arts hung on a frame of reasonably solid history, "Non-Western Civ" was a more or less random smorgasbord of unrelated cultural and religious details with no discernable structure. While I'd like to blame my hippy teacher for this (he was solely interested in Bhuddism), honestly there was very little support for him in the way of textbooks etc. Perhaps others got more out of this class than I did, I got an A but retained very little of the information despite some interest in the subject(s).

That said, generally like most here I find bias towards India to fall slightly on the favorable side of the equation here in the U.S. If anything in recent years India's popularity in the U.S. seems to have increased.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I don't remember ever being taught anything negative about Hinduism/India
                      Yup. Same here. Very little about India at all. Some about Gandhi, which obviously is a positive.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The situation seems rather unbalanced , then . Over here in India , we learn quite a bit of European history , begginning from Rome and Greece and going on till modern times . And Europe is studied along with India - i.e. , whenever we learnt something about India , we would usually learn something about the Europe of the same time period , and how it affected us ( and even if it didn't , we'd still learn it ) .

Comment

Sounds about right.

The only time that India is even remotely mentioned in our standard classes are:

1) Alexander the Great stopped short there. (This doesn't even count because they don't even go into enough detail about him reaching India).

2) The British colonization of India
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                            The situation seems rather unbalanced , then . Over here in India , we learn quite a bit of European history , begginning from Rome and Greece and going on till modern times . And Europe is studied along with India - i.e. , whenever we learnt something about India , we would usually learn something about the Europe of the same time period , and how it affected us ( and even if it didn't , we'd still learn it ) .
                            I agree with your point here. The original article is a little off line though.

Comment

In 8th grade we had a world history survey course which took a quarter to study East Asia, the Middle East (strangely India was included though hardly got mentioned other then the Mogul period, Alexander's invasion of Pakistan, and the British Raj), Africa, and pre-1492 Americas.

In college the middle east was covered as part of the history of Western Civilization with the mideast seen as part of western civ and as Europe originally being an offshot of the mideast. There was also a history course covering east Asian Civ but nothing on South Asian Civ.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X