Indian identity in American schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mao

Asian American identity in general is I think.
    Sadly, my experience, outside the scholarly, with Asian American identity attempts involved ideas that would make the Klan envious. Is there more to the movement than anti-white and anti-multicultural?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

Sadly, my experience, outside the scholarly, with Asian American identity attempts involved ideas that would make the Klan envious. Is there more to the movement than anti-white and anti-multicultural?
      Hmmm... I'll be the first to admit that I don't think there's necessarily one huge monolithic movement that's totally and completely consistent in its views and such, so I'm sure some branches are very anti-white and anti-multicultural. I'm also a bit confused as to what you mean by "anti-mulitcultural" though?

Of course, you do have scholarly experience, and I think that's a significant part of the movement itself. That said, what experiences have you had "outside the scholarly"? Self-segregation? (there's already a standardized answer to this I'm ready spew out if you want ) the media? There's lots of things I guess, I'm just not particularly sure what you're talking about.
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Can we commission MrFun to study how this relates to racism?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
          Bhagavad Gita

Anyone read this?
          One of the most enlightened religious book/poems I've ever read!
          I am currently reading it . And yes , .

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            This is bollucks. Indians aren't put down upon or given short shrift at all. They very fact that some many Indians do so well in the US shows how few barriers there are to Indian immigrants here.
            The author is not claiming that such barriers exist , nor is he saying that Indians are put down upon . He is just criticising the American education system for , as most people have put it , telling students approximately nothing about India , and completely ignoring its achievements . That is all . No "I'm a victim" BS .

Comment

What exactly are India's "achievements" and why should people in North America waste time on them?

As far as I know, the hookah is the only achievement India has.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                uhh, I think he is refering to Native American Indian..

and yes, that is a huge issue (I think reservations need to end, you can't have seperate but equal...)

but yes, very little on Indian (and most of that from references to Indian interactions with the West or early history), and mostly positive in education system (some negative in entertainment.. as all foreign cultures get)

Jon Miller
                I hate to tell you this , but I'm talking about the real Indians who live in India , not the Native Americans .

Comment

To be fair, the Native Americans have lived in America for longer than Indians have.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    What exactly are India's "achievements" and why should people in North America waste time on them?

You forgot the decimal number system ( that is , the concept of zero ) , the binary number system , gravitation , atomic theory , the theory of a spherical earth , major advances in astronomy , the Turing machine , and so on . . . . . . . .

Your post amply proves why people in North America should "waste time" on studying these achievements .

Comment

Little of that has ever reached us though. I will agree for the number zero (which the Chinese havem too, who came up with that one first?). All of the other crap we found by ourselves. Maybe later than you guys did, but your findings never had any impact on us.

You argue like a Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        ditto

... oh, and Brian Lara.
                        I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Actually the current numerical system is their baby, you've got to hand it to them...but the Turing Machine? That was in Manchester over here I'm afraid...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If I were an Indian and I wanted to object about demeaning portrayal of Indians in American culture I would complain about the movie Short Circuit. I'm surprised you guys didn't issue something like a fatwa on the life of the renegade actor who played the Indian guy chasing the robot. His portrayal of a typical Indian scientist was utterly humiliating for Indians everywhere........................................ .................................................. ................... and soooooooooo funny.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I'd like to know how the US is taught all around the world...wait, I already know. We are the devil dog imperialists that want to conquer the world. I just have one question, if I go to India will I be able to scream that the brown man is holding me down and that I deserve special priveleges because I'm a white minority? How about china? How about anywhere where whites aren't a majority? Or is this ability to come to the US and whine about the mistreatment by the evil Americans reserved only for non-whites?

Comment

Originally posted by StarLightDeath
                                I'd like to know how the US is taught all around the world...wait, I already know. We are the devil dog imperialists that want to conquer the world. I just have one question, if I go to India will I be able to scream that the brown man is holding me down and that I deserve special priveleges because I'm a white minority? How about china? How about anywhere where whites aren't a majority? Or is this ability to come to the US and whine about the mistreatment by the evil Americans reserved only for non-whites?
                                weeeeeeeeeeeee the anger is strong in this one...

Although as a troll-scale, it's pretty sad, it's like you're not even trying anymore...
                                Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Working...
                                X