Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROTF: Red Cross protests the use of it's logo in violent games to depict health bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTF: Red Cross protests the use of it's logo in violent games to depict health bonus

On behalf of the Canadian Red Cross, I wanted to bring to your attention a practise which appears to be rather widespread in the video game industry. The practise I am referring to is the unauthorized and indeed illegal use of the Red Cross emblem by the industry. A number of examples have been brought to my attention which display the Red Cross emblem to depict "First Aid" "Health" or "Injury Recovery" within the content of these games. The emblem has also been used in video games depicting Red Cross facilites and vehicles in combat situations presumably to give the games more versimultude.

Canadian Red Cross
    Croix-Rouge canadienne

January 30, 2006

Re: Misuse of Red Cross Emblem

On behalf of the Canadian Red Cross, I wanted to bring to your attention a practise which appears to be rather widespread in the video game industry. The practise I am referring to is the unauthorized and indeed illegal use of the Red Cross emblem by the industry. A number of examples have been brought to my attention which display the Red Cross emblem to depict "First Aid" "Health" or "Injury Recovery" within the content of these games. The emblem has also been used in video games depicting Red Cross facilites and vehicles in combat situations presumably to give the games more versimultude.

Internationally, the use of the Red Cross emblem is explicity reserved under the Geneva Conventions of August 12, 1949. In this regard, you may wish to consult Chapter VII Articles 38-44 of the Convention. As Canada is a signatory to the Convention, domestically the exclusive use of the emblem is reserved for the Medical Corps of the Canadian Forces and the Canadian Red Cross Society. This is confirmed in Canadian law under the Geneva Conventions Act and the Canadian Red Cross Society Act. With respect to the former, I would draw your attention to Articles 44 and 53 of the Schedule 1. In the case of the latter, you may wish to consult Section 4 of the Act.

While we recognize that there is probably little that can be done to redress past infringements, we would like to engage in a discussion with game developers and publishers to ensure that the Red Cross emblem is protected in the future. We see this as a means of avoiding costly litigation while at the same time discharging our legal responsibilities to protect the emblem. I very much hope that we at the Canadian Red Cross can count on your support and cooperation in this regard and we would be pleased to provide additional information and respond to any questions you may have. As mentioned above, it is not only the right thing to do in terms of assisting us with our humanitarian mission, it is the law.

Yours sincerely,

David Pratt
    Director, Humanitarian Issues Program

yep....
    And it's not from the onion....
    urgh.NSFW

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Sometimes the world is so stupid my head feels like it's going to explode.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

a brilliant talkback on the Israeli web:

"Watch out Casio, Texas Instruments - you're next"

I love the world.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Didn't the IRCC recently chanced to a red Cube or something more 'neutral'?

Red crosses in games

Canadians unable to stick their band-aids on real victims
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Those were crosses? I was always under the impression they were plus signs...
            B♭3

Comment

What if games changed it to green plus signs?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                No. Israel's "Red Cross" organization was recently allowed into the IRCC fold but not allowed to use the Red Star (of David) they had been using up to that point because the muslims b*tched and moaned about it, just like they did so that they'd be allowed the special priviledge to use the Red Cresent shape instead of the Red Cross shape. The Israelis have to use the Red Crystal shape while the Red Cross and Red Cresent shapes remain. It's stupid and discriminatory, but that's the way it is. Either everyone should use the neutral Red Crystal shape or the Israelis be allowed to use the Red Star in equal standing alongside the Cross and Cresent.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I guess Civ4 is toast, what with those Medic promotions.
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Re: ROTF: Red Cross protests the use of it's logo in violent games to depict health b

Originally posted by Az

Re: Misuse of Red Cross Emblem

David Pratt
                    Director, Humanitarian Issues Program
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

bring back shields!!!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                        It's a diamond

Red Diamond
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

They're calling it the "Red Crystal"
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I see nobody here is taking this legitimate complaint as seriously as it deserves.

I guess they'll have to use methods that will get themselves heard then.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Burning embassies for the Red Cross
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X