No announcement yet.

First they steal "WWF" and now this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First they steal "WWF" and now this...

Torino torched for gas guzzling flame
    Organizers say flame will have little environmental impact

TORINO, Italy (Reuters) -- The Torino Winter Olympics will mar mountains and waste enough gas with its symbolic flame to supply a small town, but damage will be limited by smart energy planning, a leading environmental group said on Wednesday.

WWF, formerly the World Worldlife Fund but now known by its initials, gave the Games a mixed report card in a 38-page document.

It slammed a bobsled track and two ski jumps that slice down two mountainsides, but praised organizers for using clean fuel and recycling waste.

"It could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse," said Sergio Savoia, director of the WWF's Alpine program.

Roberto Saini, environmental director at the TOROC organizing committee, said: "We were rather pleasantly surprised. They have delivered a largely positive assessment."

The WWF called the 5-meter (16-foot) high Olympic flame, which will be lit at the opening ceremony on Friday evening and burn until the end of the Games on February 26, "a kind of mockery, a monument to waste".

The flame, which will flicker atop a 57-meter (187-foot) high torch, will burn some 3 million cubic meters (105 million cubic feet) of gas during the Games -- enough to supply a town of 3,500 people for an entire year, it said.

But Saini said WWF had overestimated the amount of gas, and the methane would have a negligible impact on the environment.

He acknowledged that by their nature the 1,435-meter long bobsled and twin ski jumps would have an impact, but that they were designed to hug the mountain and any trees cut down were offset by plantings elsewhere.

Still the WWF, like other environmental groups, said it would have been better to use existing bobsled and jumping facilities in neighboring France rather than bequeath yet more tracks to the relatively restricted circle of such athletes.

WWF also criticized the use of artificial snow, saying it weighs as much as five times more than real snow, damaging the ground and requiring millions of cubic meters of water.

But the group also listed seven positive results, including the construction of buildings in Torino that will be used after the Games, clean-fuel public transport and recycling of materials in the Olympic villages.

The organizers say the Torino Games will be the most environmentally friendly Olympics ever and, by offsetting all carbon emissions produced during the 17 days, will have no net impact on climate change.

"Even Winter Olympics have to have some environmental impact," Saini said. "But in this case it is not overly dramatic."

WWF, whose logo is a panda, has developed into a global network dedicated to stopping the degradation of the earth's natural environment.
    Criminy. Now this is just dumb. An event that brings together the world and some one has to be all pissy about it. They even *****ed about fake snow!

I want my World Wrestling Federation back.

Hows does a huge international competition "bring the world together"?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      Hows does a huge international competition "bring the world together"?
      It inspires nations to compete peacefully, good sportmanship, educates eachother about each country, etc....

In summary: "Cool Runnings"

Comment

I wonderede about the complaint about the artificial snow-- Doesn't it "use water" in a way that just creates snow that will melt naturally-- I don't believe the water is lost or contaminated but perhaps I am missing something
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
          I wonderede about the complaint about the artificial snow-- Doesn't it "use water" in a way that just creates snow that will melt naturally-- I don't believe the water is lost or contaminated but perhaps I am missing something
          Apparently it damages the ground because it weighs more than real snow. But I figure the WWF people that walked around doing this study weighed even more so they had an EVEN GREATER destructive impact that the proposed artificial snow.

Comment

I hate the Olympics
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              I hate the Olympics

Comment

I can see it now.

The chief organizer of the Torino Winter Olympics was found injured in a pile of artificial snow yesterday, after WWF complaints about damage to the mountainside. He is in hospital, and expected to recover in about a month.

A representative from the WWF said: "Yeah? Well, that ****er better think twice before endangering the world's ecosystems. If he does it again, we'll **** his **** into paste!"

Comment

Re: First they steal "WWF" and now this...

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                  Me too...

...especially when it was a better television show
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                  X