No announcement yet.

How Much Calculus in High School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hated Calculus in college, but maybe that was because it was an 8 AM class. I did pretty well in my math SATs as well, but I found out in high school that without the right teacher, I wasn't going to learn math. Algebra 2/Trigonometry comes to mind. The first 2 months, I had this aging nice teacher, who didn't teach me anything worth a damn, and I was heading for a REAL bad grade. Then that guy retired and the new teacher really explained it better and I was great the rest of the year ('A' level). So, I guess that is a consideration.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

wtf! I thought she was going IN HS now. 10 years old?

Jeesh...

In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I took calc I and II in high school, and im glad, because math classes in college are horrible (at least mine) You really dont learn.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Our oldest daughter is entering middle school next year. She enjoys math and is pretty good at it. We have three options for math courses:
          1. Standard sequence:
          math, pre algebra, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, analysis, ending with AP calculus in 12 grade.
          2. Accelerated seqeunce:
          Start with pre-algebra, so everything is a year sooner. The last year is then multivariate calculus, linear algebra, or differential equations
          3. Magnet Sequence:
          Same as accleerated, but taught at the math / science magnet high school.

Option 3 involves a loooong commute, and therefore seems unlikely. Leaving aside the question of why on earth we have to make such a decision in fifth grade does anybody have any perspective on taking an extra year of calculus in high school? Did it help with other high school work, college admissions, or college work? Or would you rather have spent the time and effort taking more courses or more difficult (AP) courses in other subjects?
          I did choice three. Frankly, the extra year of multivariable calc/linear algebra wasn't all that well taught, so I can't say that they helped me very much (I'm going to graduate in physics and math in a couple months). The curricula for these classes are less standardized than high school calculus (or differential equations, which is somewhat integrated into the AP test), so the quality of teaching may be a problem. And since these aren't AP classes, she'll probably have to take them again in college if she's still interested in math or related fields. As for entrance into college, I don't think that taking these classes or some more AP classes in other subjects would make a difference (but the latter might save her some money). So, it's kind of a wash.

I'd say that she should do the Magnet sequence (the advantage she has with the Magnet sequence over the accelerated sequence is better quality of teaching), but it really isn't that big a deal either way. If your daughter decides that she wants to take more advanced math classes, she can probably double up on math for one year (which is what I did after switching to a Magnet school).
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

I took the standard math courses in high school, didn't take any AP courses at all and took one more class than the bare minimum. I had absolutely no trouble getting into any university of my choice. It probably hurt me in terms of the handful of science classes I took in university, but I was going for a BA so it didn't really matter. It made no difference in my getting a job after I graduated nor in my getting accepted into a world-class MBA program. In my MBA, more calculus (which I could have just taken in undergrad but didn't) would have been a benefit in some of the more advanced corporate finance classes (derivatives, fixed income trading strategies, etc), but I still took some of them without too much difficulty. It again had no impact on me getting another job post-grad school.

So, unless your child is planning on going into the sciences/engineering or things have changed radically since I went through school (which is a very real possibility), I wouldn't worry about it too much.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

"child is planning on going into the sciences/engineering"

anyone else think there is something wonky with this applied to a 5th grader?

My 'plans' at the time were rather more vague lets say...

Making decisions that could potentially affect your whole career path and 'life options' in 5th grade is nuts.

I'd go with option 1, keep your options open. The passions of youth flare and die and all that.
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                Making decisions that could potentially affect your whole career path and 'life options' in 5th grade is nuts.
                Hence my
                But thanks for the observations anyway. Keep 'em coming.
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                  "child is planning on going into the sciences/engineering"

anyone else think there is something wonky with this applied to a 5th grader?
                  Not really. I wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was that age.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think I wanted to be an architect when I was 10.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Calculus is absolutely awesome, and I cannot possibly think what my life would have been like if I did not have learned it. It makes all previous math seem completely insignificant.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Re: How Much Calculus in High School?

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                        3. Magnet Sequence:

Option 3 involves a loooong commute, and therefore seems unlikely.
                        I was a regular high school math teacher and a substitute teacher. I highly suggest the magnet school. Magnet schools are much better. How long is the commute? Can she take the city bus?
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Our oldest daughter is entering middle school next year. She enjoys math and is pretty good at it. We have three options for math courses:
                          1. Standard sequence:
                          math, pre algebra, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, analysis, ending with AP calculus in 12 grade.
                          2. Accelerated seqeunce:
                          Start with pre-algebra, so everything is a year sooner. The last year is then multivariate calculus, linear algebra, or differential equations
                          3. Magnet Sequence:

Option 3 involves a loooong commute, and therefore seems unlikely. Leaving aside the question of why on earth we have to make such a decision in fifth grade does anybody have any perspective on taking an extra year of calculus in high school? Did it help with other high school work, college admissions, or college work? Or would you rather have spent the time and effort taking more courses or more difficult (AP) courses in other subjects?
                          Go with the "accelerated sequence"

She'll get a good start in it, if she likes it, then she can keep it up, and if she doesnt like it then as JM said she may decide to switch to something else in her senior year. (You might want to make sure on that first. Each state and each school have usually wildly different requirements.)

Deciding this before the sixth grade

But that probably isn't as bad as it looks to other posters. If this is like the typical American high school she isn't locked into this track forever. At pretty much any time she and you want, she can change her classes. (You may want to make sure about this.)

I have zero experience with magnet schools so I couldn't suggest you anything about them.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

When I was in 5th grade I think I wanted to be... hell, I've no idea what I wanted to be. I probably figured I'd become a "businessman" like my dad (translation: high-level executive... hah!). That's about as far as my thinking went back then.

I'd say pick option 2, AS, but what do I know? I've got a History degree and I work as a glorified claims guy at an insurance company (it's actually a solid gig, mind you).

Your basic reaction is, I feel, appropriate. She's like 10, man.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I dreamt of being a scientist, most probably a biochemist probably since the 7th or the 8th grade. I've considered being an astrophysicist before that.

So, no, it's not too early.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I like #2, although I'm on a course similar to the first choice. (But that's not really a problem, since my school doesn't offer a multivariable calculus/linear alg. course). Of course, keep your options open at this early time, but since she appears to enjoy math (at least at this point) it's probably a solid sequence.

What I did, starting in 7th grade: Pre-algebra, algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry/pre-calc (where I am now), AP calculus BC.

Comment

Working...
                                X