Need advice on a ring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on a ring...

Ok, dumb idea asking Poly, I know, but seeing as a good many of everyone here has popped the question, I was hoping for some advice on buying the right ring.

First off, she likes white gold. I want to buy her a diamond, of course, but I don't know what size carat to get. I'm think half carat, which will run me around $900 USD. Should I go for something larger? What's the deal with wedding bands, are those just a typical ring and bought seperately?

I can afford a good size carat, especially with many of the payment plans out there. What type of cut should I get? What clarity?

We've been talking about getting married for some time now and she says she doesn't want anything big. But of course I want her to have a great ring to show how much she means to me.

What should I get?

1/4 Carat?
    0.00%
    1/2 Carat?
    38.46%
    Something Bigger?
    30.77%
    A Banana Is Forever... Until it gets all brown...
    30.77%

Cut, Colour, Carets, Clarity. The four C's of diamonds. I would stick with half, but invest more in the cut , clarity and colour. My missus says anything bigger just isn't worth it.
    "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
    "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

A dumb idea, indeed
      Attached Files
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

What's the best cut? In your opinion?

Comment

I was thinking a ringpop as a last resort..

Comment

why would a woman want something useless like a ring?

Just get her a credit card. She'll like that better.

Comment

My email in my hotmail says:
              "big0ger is behtter"

So......
              Dont know many things about diamonds... try to be moderate in the size. And go for the cut, clarity and color!!!
              bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Just get her a credit card. She'll like that better.
                Yeah but Citibank doesn't have any that are REALLY shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                  My email in my hotmail says:
                  "big0ger is behtter"

So......
                  Dont know many things about diamonds... try to be moderate in the size. And go for the cut, clarity and color!!!
                  I here Princess cut is really nice.

Comment

bes advice is speak to a jeweller, I went with an emerald cut, others like square, others ???? Is your better half traditional, modern, pick the ring to suit.

An in regards to colour and clarity. I spent the bucks on a really clear stone. Which means extra shiney. The girls in my wifes office hate when customers coming to the bank comment on her ring, and not there large, but flawed and/or not clear rocks.

my personal preference is for a solitaire, with nosupporting rocks. Incidenty, i spent about USD2000, but brought quality. Ask to see the stone as well... and ask the jeweller to explain what you are seeing.
                    "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                    "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Thank you, everyone for your comments.

@Atomant: Should I try a chain, like Zales, or should I try a local jeweler?

Comment

Get at least 1 carat. Use a local jeweler. Emerald cut is nice. Clear quality is choice. wedding bands are separate.White gold with small point diamonds around band are nice.

I bought my wifes' ring (engagement) back in 1977 at an old NYC jewelers house from his private stash. Paid 3500 US for it and it is appraised now at about 6000.

Spend the money. She will never forget you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

No wonder you have trouble getting laid.

Comment

Re: Need advice on a ring...

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                            Ok, dumb idea asking Poly, I know, but seeing as a good many of everyone here has popped the question, I was hoping for some advice on buying the right ring.

the bandwagon syndrome
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                              What's the best cut? In your opinion?
                              uncut
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X