Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of ~1300. Ouch.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

CNN.com is now saying there are 263 survivors.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It was a roro ship. If it gets water on the car deck, it could sink like a stone, just like "Estonia" did in 1991.

But the water in the Red Sea is much hotter than the Baltic see in late september, so the chance of surviving long enough to be rescued is quite good.

Let's hope for the best...
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I notice with great pity that the Egyptians wasted no time refusing help from the Israeli navy dispite the fact that Israel was in the best position to help find survivors. As usual Arab states would prefer their people to die before they accept help from Jews.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            I notice with great pity that the Egyptians wasted no time refusing help from the Israeli navy dispite the fact that Israel was in the best position to help find survivors. As usual Arab states would prefer their people to die before they accept help from Jews.
            How's that? The ship sank quite far from Eilat?
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

And these people were returning home from Mecca, talk about suckage.

Comment

Well, that's better than it happening on their way to Mecca.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

How's that? The ship sank quite far from Eilat?
                  Who has the planes and the helicopters ready to launch? That is what would be needed if survivors were to be recued before they died of hypothermia in the water.

It is sad that their hatred of Jews made them decide to leave their own people to die. Especially since it would have cost them nothing other then having to admit that Jews aren't as bad as they've claimed.

Comment

hypothermia

In 22C water?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

With the Lighthouse in ruins, the Egyptian navy is in shambles.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Don't tell me we finally hit something?
                        What?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          hypothermia

In 22C water?
                          NPR is reporting that the water is cold enough to kill people who spend significant amounts of time in it.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            hypothermia

In 22C water?
                            Where did you get the 22C temperature from? The info I've seen is that the waters average 19C at this time of year, and the sinking occured in the middle of the night.
                            Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

While the temperate we're talking about still may not strike you as that cold, being in water means heat is transferred much more quickly than if simply exposed to that air temperature. This still may not be an issue over the short term, but once you're talking about a number of hours of being stuck in the water, it really starts to be a problem and that whens hypothermia can take its toll.

Remember that the normal temperature of the human body is significantly higher than 19C.
                            Last edited by Mordoch; February 4, 2006, 05:35.

Comment

As soon as core body temp falls below 25C, you are pretty much going to diefrom hypothermia, it is just the waiting around for it to happen...
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Amazing. Oh well.

Israel should have just done it anyway.
                                be free

Comment

Working...
                                X