Need a new pet? Try an axolotl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new pet? Try an axolotl!

The axolotl is a Mexican salamander notable for retaining larval morphology thru its whole life, as well as a freakish ability to heal the most horrendous injuries - it can literally regrow lost legs. Needless to say, they have some considerable scientific and medical interest.

What I didn't know, however, is that people also keep 'em as pets. Below is a rather endearing page providing general information about the little monsters, as well as tips for those who'd like their own axolotl in their home.

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

awww... and he's smiling.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Isn't that a muppet?
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Nope, it's a neotenous salamander. You, as a neotenous ape, should feel a measure of connection to it.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I'd rather have an atlatl.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I wonder if one can throw axolotls with atlatls ...

Comment

It's freaky looking. The website said that this critter is a "backwards step in evolution" how does that make any sense? How does evolution work in reverse?
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think it bears an uncanny resemblance to Yassir Arafat.

Comment

I'd rather have a Quetzalcoatl
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    It's freaky looking. The website said that this critter is a "backwards step in evolution" how does that make any sense? How does evolution work in reverse?
                    My guess is that they're presupposing some version of Haeckel's Law, which says that an organism under its development recapitulates the evolutionary history. Thus, a neotenous species would revert to the morphology of its distant ancestors.

The problem with this can be succintly stated: Haeckel's Law is wrong.

(Neoteny, in case you don't know, is the retention of juvenile characteristics into adulthood - the axolotl is neotenous because it retains larval morphology such as gills during its whole life. A less drastic example is the adult human skull, which is, when you compensate for raw size, more similar to juvenile than adult chimp skulls.)

Comment

KILL IT
                      CSPA

Comment

Comment

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I mean, look at that insidious smile on its face. It's gotta be evil. It's clearly a Finnish plot.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
                            It lives in the waterways in and around Mexico City.

Comment

Sorry, Master Zen.

Go to DEFCON 1

-Arrian
                              Last edited by Arrian; February 2, 2006, 15:46.
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X