X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundies protesting Cartoons

They're everywhere !!!

Joint Chiefs Blast Toles’ Cartoon
    In a move without precedent in recent memory, all six members of the military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff have signed a letter complaining to Washington Post managing editor Phil Bennett about a recent political cartoon.

The January 29th cartoon by Tom Toles depicts a wounded soldier, missing his arms and legs and with his head bandaged, in his hospital bed. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is standing next to bed, saying, “I am listing your condition as battle hardened.”

The cartoon is a reference to comments Rumsfeld made last Wednesday, January 25th, in which he blasted critics who said that America’s military was stretched too thin, saying they didn’t understand the state of the “battle-hardened” military.

“We believe you and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to your readers and your paper’s reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who have volunteered to defend this nation, and, as a result, have suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds,” the letter says (read the letter, pdf). “Using the likeness of a service member who has lost his arms and legs in war as the central theme of a cartoon is beyond tasteless.”
    The offensive material:
    What?

The Joint Chiefs are entitled to express their opinion.

I view the cartoon as depicting Rumsfield as the callous one.

Comment

Agreed, Z-man!
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I love Tom Toles. I have always liked his style..my favorite political cartoonist.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Uh....has "fundies" just become a general term for everything we don't like then?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah, when did the ****ing Joint Chiefs of Staff become "fundies"?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It's cute that the Joint Chiefs of Staff have resorted to posturing and getting their panties into a twist like whining schoolgirls.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The cartoon's a bit much. I think that some less horrific injuries could still have provided the same value in terms of humour and political statement while being much less offensive to those who have recently suffered debilitating injuries in war.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Political correctness is no longer the monopoly of senseless liberals -- now senseless conservatives can claim a share of political correctness.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It's not overly offensive, but is sort of insensitive.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

“I am listing your condition as battle hardened.”
                      are these generals so dense they cant figure out the joke?

How else will we discover the brilliant minds running the war?

Easier to play dumb (or be dumb) than face Rummy without properly condemning the cartoonist.

“We believe you and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to your readers and your paper’s reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who have volunteered to defend this nation, and, as a result, have suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds,” the letter says (read the letter, pdf). “Using the likeness of a service member who has lost his arms and legs in war as the central theme of a cartoon is beyond tasteless.”
                      I'd call it a reality check... no photos of caskets, no cartoons either, no reminders of the true cost of war

You dont get to their level in the military without being a sycophant... Just look at how they let the grunts take the blame for their policies like Abu Ghraib and Clayton Hartwig. Its the military brass that is callous.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Callous but then again Rumsfield has treated the military very callously.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

IMHO, That's just offensive to the wounded soldiers themselves. But your point is, of course, proven. These generals are just as bad.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                            It's cute that the Joint Chiefs of Staff have resorted to posturing and getting their panties into a twist like whining schoolgirls.
                            Don't ask, don't tell Fun!

He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I find it both funny and insensitive. It's certainly within the rights of the JCS to complain about the insensitive aspect of the cartoon. Notice that they didn't complain about the depiction of Rumsfled.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X