X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wahaa, it gets richer!

Female on throne could marry foreigner, Hiranuma warns

The Associated Press

Dozens of conservative lawmakers and their supporters Wednesday attacked a proposal to let females and their descendents ascend to the Chrysanthemum Throne, warning the move threatens a centuries-old tradition -- and could even allow foreign blood into the Imperial line.

The lawmakers, led by former trade minister Takeo Hiranuma, are fighting a bill being drafted by the government to avert a succession crisis in the Imperial family by allowing reigning empresses and their descendents.

Females have been barred from the throne since the Meiji Era (1868-1912) and a 1947 law further restricted ascension to males from the male line. No woman has reigned in more than 200 years.

The Imperial family has not produced a male heir since the 1960s and public support has been growing for a change in the law to allow Princess Aiko, the only child Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, to ascend to the throne.

Hiranuma, however, warned the reform could corrupt the Imperial line, which he said has been the supreme symbol of Japanese national and ethnic identity for centuries.

"If Aiko becomes the reigning empress and gets involved with a blue-eyed foreigner while studying abroad and marries him, their child may be the emperor," Hiranuma told about 40 lawmakers, academics and supporters at a Tokyo hall. "We should never let that happen."

Despite the overwhelming public support for the reform, traditionalists have stepped up a campaign to quash the move -- going so far as to propose bringing back concubines to breed male descendants as was done until the Taisho Era (1912-1926). Others have argued the aristocracy, banned after World War II, should be reinstated as a way of broadening the pool of candidates for the throne.

The Japan Times: Feb. 2, 2006
    (C) All rights reserved
    Japanese conservatists sure are interesting.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
      Besides, I have blue eyes and also a bunch of blond locks. I'd be a very good Swede.
      People think I look like I'm of southern German ancestry.

Comment

Japanese conservatists sure are interesting
        Not really. They seem pretty similar to many other conservatives: they like tradition, they don't like furriners, they kinda like aristocracy...

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I don't know of too many western law-makers, members of the cabinet and royals who air such blatantly patronizing opinions about women though.

Aso, Tanigaki also balk on female reign

LDP chorus against succession bill grows
          By REIJI YOSHIDA

Staff writer

Senior Cabinet ministers Friday joined growing voices within the Liberal Democratic Party expressing concern over a government-sponsored bill to allow females and their descendants to ascend to the Imperial throne.

"Is this a bill we have to desperately push for during (this) ordinary Diet session?" asked Foreign Minister Taro Aso in a Friday morning press briefing, arguing the bill should be put on the back burner.

Finance Minister Sadakazu Tanigaki told a separate news conference, "Whether or not (the bill is debated during) the ongoing Diet session, it is desirable for us to form a national consensus first."

The ministers' comments have added more fuel to internal rebellion against Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, who is now drawing up the bill for submission to the Diet.

Aso noted it is possible a boy could be born to the Imperial family by the time Princess Aiko, the 4-year-old daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, may qualify as a reigning empress if the bill is passed.

"I myself believe we should take more time to discuss this," Aso said.

On Wednesday, a meeting of conservative politicians adopted a petition urging "cautious deliberation" of the bill at the Diet. It bears the signatures of 173 lawmakers, including 135 from the LDP.

There have been eight reigning empresses, but their successor always went back to the paternal line of the Imperial family. In addition, since 1889, women have been prohibited by law from ascending to the throne.

Few politicians argue that Princess Aiko should not be allowed to become a reigning empress, given widespread support of voters shown in various media polls.

But if a reigning empress marries a commoner and their child would be allowed to be an emperor, it would terminate the centuries-old paternal bloodline and the family would eventually become no different from ordinary families, conservative politicians have argued.

Observers suspect that some LDP lawmakers have tried to use this issue as leverage to weaken Koizumi's position in deciding his successor. Koizumi has pledged to resign in September when his term as LDP president expires.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe, who is in charge of the government-sponsored bill, has supported Koizumi's stance despite his well-known conservative views. Abe is considered a front-runner in the race to succeed Koizumi.

"I don't think anybody thinks this issue is part of a power struggle," Abe told reporters Friday.

Major media, too, have been sharply split.

In its Thursday editorial, the liberal Asahi Shimbun urged Prince Tomohito, Emperor Akihito's cousin, to refrain from speaking out his view opposing the government-sponsored bill, given the politically sensitive nature of the issue.

Conservative daily Sankei Shimbun immediately struck back in Friday's editorial, saying a newspaper should not try to suppress the prince's freedom of speech.
          The Japan Times: Feb. 4, 2006
          (C) All rights reserved
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
            People think I look like I'm of southern German ancestry.
            Because you got a belly and wear lederhosen? Or is it because of your mumbling? Your strange affinity for beer and pretzels?

On topic:
            I think the main problem lies in the fact that the emperor (not the emperess) is regarded the biggest fish in pond, and they just fear to lose the top management position to foreigners. We all know the Japanese opinion about Westerners ruling anything in Japan...

Oh, I love Japan! Gooooo Japan!
            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
            Let me eat your yummy brain!
            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Judging from my daughter's manga, I thought that most Japanese were blonde-haired and blue-eyed. If they have a problem with nordic physical traits why is it that 90% of the characters in their art have nordic like features? There apears to be a touch of schizophrenia in their society.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

A touch?
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                X