Abortion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion!

In the past I have tried to stay out of the abortion argument, reasoning it is a woman's issue and I therefore could not possibly grasp all the complex parts. I have realized one thing.

Ladies and gentlemen, that is a copout.

Therefore, if you knowledgeable posters on both sides of the issue will help me, I am going to try to take abortion one step at a time and rationally form an opinion. I will do my best to be tolerant of all viewpoints.

I assume that the majority of those pro-life are so because they believe aborting an unborn child is murder. (My first statement is an assumption. I'm off to a great start.) Those with other reasons are welcome to make their case known.

What is the time at which a clump of cells becomes human?

A newborn baby is pretty obviously human. Is a zygote human? Why?

Is a sperm cell "human"? What is the criteria for determining when life becomes human?

Both sides please give all you have to know. I would also be interested in the medical and legal answers to these questions.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Forget my post, I'm too interested in the phantom reply phenomenon. I'm gonna see if editing it resets the count.
    Last edited by Jaguar; February 1, 2006, 00:11.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

lol you aborted your post LOL
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I ruined the effect.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Well, it was good while it lasted.
          Attached Files
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

IIRC during heavy server load it will stop counting posts and views...

Did you have something to add to the discussion?
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
              IIRC during heavy server load it will stop counting posts and views...

Did you have something to add to the discussion?
              Do I ever have something to add to the discussion?

Comment

You did, before you aborted your post.

Comment

OK, let's try again.

You can make up whatever definition you want for "human" and you can make up whatever "rights" you personally think exist for all humans.

You can frame the entire argument in two terms that you can embellish to fit your own agenda. Which is why the "debate" is pointless.

Comment

I agree with Jaguar, as with many arguments it focuses too much on definitions.
                    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I want to use this image that I stole from tribalwar
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar

OK, let's try again.

You can make up whatever definition you want for "human" and you can make up whatever "rights" you personally think exist for all humans.

You can frame the entire argument in two terms that you can embellish to fit your own agenda. Which is why the "debate" is pointless.
                        That is EXACTLY why I don't approve of abortion but support Roe vs. Wade. The matter is not black and white like the pro-lifers and pro-choicers try to make it out to be.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Err... that's a pro-choice position, Togglechap.

Comment

How so? Read my response to BK in his Alito thread. Until certain underlying problems are addressed, banning abortion outside of rape, incest, or the health of the mother or child is a baaad idea.
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                              lol you aborted your post LOL
                              LOL
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X