Tokyo No Longer the Most Expensive City to Live In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo No Longer the Most Expensive City to Live In

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - For the first time in nearly a generation, Tokyo no longer ranks as the world's most expensive city, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Economist Group.

The biannual survey, which covers 130 countries, found Oslo, Norway as No. 1 in terms of cost of living. Tokyo fell to No. 2. The last time Tokyo did not lead all other cities was in 1991 when, due to an overvalued official currency exchange rate, Tehran briefly led the charge.

Japan has suffered from a weakening yen, years of low inflation and a general malaise of the economy.

Oslo moved up one spot from six months ago on the strength of Norway's high consumer confidence, rampant investment and low interest rates, according to the report.

Oslo's score of 140 on the index, which uses New York and a base of 100 as its starting points, means that Oslo costs 40 percent more than New York. Tokyo came in at 136.

European cities now dominate the top 10 list with Reykjavik as the third most expensive city, Paris tied with Osaka for fourth, and Copenhagen sixth.

The most expensive American city, New York, fell into a tie for 27th place with Düsseldorf, Germany. Last year, New York was No. 23.

To show how the mighty have fallen, Tehran now resides in last place among the cities surveyed, at an index value of 33.

Most of the other low scorers represented Latin America, with Asuncion, Paraguay at an index value of 45 leading the Americas, and South Asia, with Karachi, Pakistan at 43. Other inexpensive cities include Manila, Philipines (39) and Mumbai (45)

World's priciest cities
    The index uses New York and 100 as its base points. Oslo, at 140, is 40 percent more expensive than New York.

Rank (last year) City Index *
    1 (3) Oslo, Norway 140
    2 (1) Tokyo, Japan 136
    3 (8) Osaka/Kobe, Japan 135
    4 (2) Reykjavik, Iceland 130
    4 (4) Paris, France 130
    6 (5) Copenhagen, Denmark 127
    7 (7) London, UK 125
    8 (6) Zurich, Switzerland 123
    9 (8) Geneva, Switzerland 116
    10 (10) Helsinki, Finland 115

*Index based on New York (100)
    Source: Economic Intelligence Unit

HAW HAW Oslo!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Manila, Philipines (39)
    Lancer's home is out in the sticks, so the cost of living there is even lower.

Comment

*Index based on New York (100)
      Source: Economic Intelligence Unit

Yup, everything is measured in comparison to the City
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I am not sure what is included in the "basket" for index calculations.

Real estate prices are hideously high here. Mostly everything else though is quite cheap.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Perhaps they're using the Big Mac index.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How the hell did Paris get above London?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't understand how London can be possibly considered cheaper than Paris (and significantly so, at that). I smell a problem with the methodology.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Viking Eurocom Coalition pwnz joo!
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  How the hell did Paris get above London?
                  I expect the Royal Marines to be crossing the Channel any moment to correct this obvious mistake?
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

9 (8) Geneva, Switzerland 116
                    Yep, rent and housing (there has been a severe shortage here since about the 17th century) and food (worlds highest tariffs and subsidies mean we pay 3 times more for a tomato than in say a place like austria) is what drives up prices here.

The rest is pretty cheap. (anything internationally traded w/o tariffs/subsidies)
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I am surprised that Moscow is not in top 10. I think that it was in top 3 a few years back.
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Is this PPP/average salary adjusted?

London is damned expensive compared to many major cities in Europe (and Paris certainly) and other locations in the UK, but I would expect wages come in a lot better in London too.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

IIRC, the basket of goods for this index skews toward what a transient executive might expect to buy, not what an average or not so average person might expect to buy.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I've, for one, found that if you know where to go and what places to eat at, you can eat better quality food for cheaper in London than lots of other places in the UK. Its certainly cheaper and more varied to eat out in London than Norwich.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                              I've, for one, found that if you know where to go and what places to eat at, you can eat better quality food for cheaper in London than lots of other places in the UK. Its certainly cheaper and more varied to eat out in London than Norwich.
                              That is correct, it's just poor bloody tourists who stumble into the wrong places

And DanS, what dialect of Economese is that you're speaking? Rolandstenish?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X