US, EU3, Russia, China call for Iran to be reported to UNSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ecthy
    Now now, how long is the range of French nuclear missiles? At least in the 70s this was an important detail.

Look it up and be enlightened by another piece of wisdom.
    Range of 6000km or so? Quel est le problème?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Le probleme c'est le fait que... the first French nukes had a range of 200km. And they were not directed to the UK.

I know they have de facto ICBMs nowadays.

Comment

LOTM, the UN doesn't have any sovereignty, so comparing the UN charter with a constitution (in the strict sense) is really stretching it.

And yes, cases brought for the ICJ can only be between states, so if it involves UN resolutions it can only be indirectly, through UN-authorised actions taken by member states.

Checking wikipedia, there has been a case that's relevant to your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...curity_Council (scroll down to "The ICJ and the Security Council" and the Pan Am case)

"The relationship between the ICJ and the Security Council, and the separation of their powers, was considered by the Court in 1992, in the Pan Am case. The Court had to consider an application from Libya for the order of provisional measures to protect its rights, which, it alleged, were being infringed by the threat of economic sanctions by the UK and USA. The problem was that these sanctions had been authorised by the Security Council, which resulted with a potential conflict between the Chapter VII functions of the Security Council and the judicial function of the Court. The Court decided, by eleven votes to five, that it could not order the requested provisional measures because the rights claimed by Libya, even if legitimate under the Montreal Convention, could no longer be upheld since the action was justified by the Security Council. In accordance with Article 103 of the UN Charter, obligations under the Charter took precedence over other treaty obligations."

This is what article 103 says: "In the event of a conflict between the obligations of the Members of the United Nations under the present Charter and their obligations under any other international agreement, their obligations under the present Charter shall prevail."

However, don't consider to be precedence, since ICJ rulings are only binding to the parties in the case itself and not to future rulings.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I don't think anyone has the guts to actually stop Iran from getting nukes.

So let's hope Iran doesn't have the guts to use their nukes when they get them ...
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
            So let's hope Iran doesn't have the guts to use their nukes when they get them ...
            Why would they? Doing so would pretty much guarantee Iran's total annihilation...
            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

MAD applies. The worry, of course, is that they would give nukes to terrorists, thus circumventing MAD. I'm thinking that's still a terribly risky thing to do.

After all, we invaded Iraq (supposedly) based on claims that Iraq was close to getting nukes and that they had some sort of connection to 9/11 (among other justifications). Neither was true. If a terrorist uses a nuke and there is even a shread of evidence that points to Tehran... yeah, they'd be perfectly safe

Further, once said terrorists have nukes... what if they disagree with Iran in the future. How is that in the Iranian government's interest?

They'd have to be nuts to do it. The worry, essentially, boils down to "are they nuts?" I don't think so. But I don't presume to KNOW so.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Although I'm certainly worried that Iran might use nukes, I'm more worried that Iran will use nukes to shield themselves from any consequences while they create a haven for terrorist groups.

How would we have retaliated to 9/11 if Afghanistan had had nukes?
                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                  Although I'm certainly worried that Iran might use nukes, I'm more worried that Iran will use nukes to shield themselves from the agression of aparthied Israel and the imperialist US which may mindlessly retaliate when they create a haven for freedom fighters, who are only bring to us the fruits of our policies.
                  How some folks would fix your statement.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

True, I left that out too, Edan.

Nukes primary value is to deter attack. My position on that scenario is somewhere between yours and LotM's cute traitorcommieantiamericanscum rewrite.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Why would they? Doing so would pretty much guarantee Iran's total annihilation...
                      Despite what GePap will tell you, governments don't always act sensibly.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Including our own.

-Arrian

Comment

That's a funny thing - nobody raises an eyebrow if I say that Persson, Chirac, or Dubyah is being irrational, but I've been accused of racism for even suggesting that Khamenei or Hu Jintao might act irrationally.

Comment

Purity of Essence.

Youre an old fart if you can remember when the notion of an accidental or irrational use of nukes was a LEFT wing meme.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Sandman provides evidence that Iranian public opinion is not as united on this matter as some have said.
                              Out of a country of 77 Million people, the vast majority who don;t use computers, the thoughts of a few counts as a valid gage of public opinion????!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Wait, no, that isn't funny, Its stupid.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                                Purity of Essence.

Youre an old fart if you can remember when the notion of an accidental or irrational use of nukes was a LEFT wing meme.
                                I do worry about irrational use of nukes. And the US is as irrational as the Iranians.

Unlike you thought, I am not a hypocrite, because I believe the US does not deserve nukes anymore than Iran. (or any state for that matter). Conversely, if Iran wants nukes and leaves the NPT, they have as much right to them as the US does.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X