China forces Google Censorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
    Well, whatever happened to standing by one's principles? What's Google's corporate saying? "First, do no harm," or something like that?

Hmm. I don't see it the same way, but maybe they figure it's better Chinese Internet users get to use Google for *some* things, if not all. Then again, they might be looking at it from a strictly business viewpoint, which is generally amoral in my experience (profits come first and foremost).

Gatekeeper

In capitalism one's "principles" are 'make more money'.

And how is Google doing harm here? Its either self-censor, or no Google at all. Better to have a little Google than none at all.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So much for "don't be evil".
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Not true. In the form of capitalism that we know in the US, the principles are whatever the owners say the principles are. In the case of Google, an additional provision was added to the ownership structure such that the principles of Sergey Brin and Larry Page carried the day with regard to the company by way of dual share classes.

The principles of Larry Page and Sergey Brin were clearly stated in Google's Owners Manual -- which was attached to Google's filing documents -- including the provision not to be evil. But this is pretty damn evil.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          I've no problem with profit — after all, it's a big reason why I'm still employed — but surely there comes a point in time when "make more money" needs to take a back seat to, well, something. Principles, perhaps? Heh. It's philosophical territory, really.

And how is Google doing harm here? Its either self-censor, or no Google at all. Better to have a little Google than none at all.
          Heh. Maybe not so much "harm" as in being amoral or, at the least, pursuing one's self interest to the detriment of the greater good. *shrug* It's kind of like the person who goes to church on Sunday, but then is, um, somewhat naughty the rest of the week. It's natural that human nature would extend to human-run companies as well. Disappointing sometimes, but not unexpected.

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Google, which has as it’s motto “Don’t Be Evil,” says the new site aims to make its search engine more accessible in China, thereby expanding access to information.

"IT'S" IS NOT POSSESSIVE YOU ****ING MORONS!
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

How is it evil? I mean its either no Google or censored Google like Imran said. What good are they doing by not operating in China.
              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

the principles are whatever the owners say the principles are

Which are 'make more money'

How is it evil? I mean its either no Google or censored Google like Imran said. What good are they doing by not operating in China.

What's more evil? Denying the Chinese people a limited Google or 'standing for principles' and denying them all of Google? What about adherance to German and French anti hate speech laws?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Not true. In the form of capitalism that we know in the US, the principles are whatever the owners say the principles are.
                  In other words: "make more money".
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

No, the principles as laid out in the filing documents were much more than "make more money." It was quite a manifesto.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      No, the principles as laid out in the filing documents were quite a bit more than "make more money."
                      "Do X,Y,Z in order to make money then."
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Your guesses as to the contents of the document aren't very good.

Comment

In the end, they all lead to one final commandment. Yes... make more money. The principles help with the PR and may help you make money (as Google as used its "we're the good guys" stuff to sneak up on a lot of companies).

Comment

Google

1. Focus on the user and all else will follow.

2. It's best to do one thing really, really well.

3. Fast is better than slow.

4. Democracy on the web works.

5. You don't need to be at your desk to need an answer.

6. You can make money without doing evil.

7. There's always more information out there.

8. The need for information crosses all borders.

9. You can be serious without a suit.

10. Great just isn't good enough.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I especially like #9 and #10
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

They're kind of forgetting about #2 though.
                                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                                X