China forces Google Censorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China forces Google Censorship

Google has caved in to China for economic reasons.

Censorship

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

China
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Tits
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Testing the system however shows that while there is some censorship, it's not anywhere near perfectly effective.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

"Like this couldn't have happened in the U.S. "

Comment

Google wasn't forced to do a damn thing. They chose to censor their stuff.

Pretty evil.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Google:

Comment

And why I use Altavista.

Man, I'm old.
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Google and China
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Google wasn't forced to do a damn thing. They chose to censor their stuff.

Pretty evil.
                      Precisely. Which makes one wonder what might happen stateside if the feds and/or other government entities apply enough pressure to access their records (for whatever reason).

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Well, given the choice of doing some censoring, or being blocked, the former is the better of the two options.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

It is a no win situation, really. Anything Google does pisses people off. At least they can fight off the US Government in the courts, but what could they have done in China, Despotic country that it is?
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                            Precisely. Which makes one wonder what might happen stateside if the feds and/or other government entities apply enough pressure to access their records (for whatever reason).

Gatekeeper
                            Google knows they have the law on their side in the US. OTOH, they know they don't have that luxury in China or in Germany (wrt to hate speech).
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, whatever happened to standing by one's principles? What's Google's corporate saying? "First, do no harm," or something like that?

Hmm. I don't see it the same way, but maybe they figure it's better Chinese Internet users get to use Google for *some* things, if not all. Then again, they might be looking at it from a strictly business viewpoint, which is generally amoral in my experience (profits come first and foremost).

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X