No announcement yet.

The Economist: Emerging Economies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to think about the phrase "traditional pre-eminence" some more. Eurasia certainly has had stretches of pre-eminence before the modern era.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
      and I agree, but you also must look at the fact that the Aztecs and Incas were not living at a subsistance level, while most europeans were (not to mention being swept by plagues, cold snaps, famines, etc.)
      WTF??

They lived the same way. They worked their asses off and they got food and shelter. That's it. Just because one society had canals doesn't mean that they lived better.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

WTF??

They lived the same way. They worked their asses off and they got food and shelter. That's it. Just because one society had canals doesn't mean that they didn't live better.
        Oerdin seems to disagree.

You misread Colon's statement, LoA. Just get over it.
        Explain to me how I misread it. Go slowly, since it seems I havnt gotten it.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Oerdin seems to disagree.
          Yeah? So what. The people of every pre-industrial society lived at subsistence levels with the exception of periods of population declines because of population increases. The Aztecs were no different. The only thing that changes is how the people died when the population outsripped the food supply. Canals didn't make any difference.

Comment

Yeah? So what. The people of every pre-industrial society lived at subsistence levels with the exception of periods of population declines because of population increases. The Aztecs were no different. The only thing that changes is how the people died when the population outsripped the food supply. Canals didn't make any difference.
            no thats not true, you cannot say that pre industrial Chinese were living at a subsistence level, or even the pre industrial Romans, or the pre industrial arab empire.
            Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; January 26, 2006, 17:00.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I'm still amazed that you have any training in economics at all.

Comment

likewise.

Comment

Explain to me how I misread it. Go slowly, since it seems I havnt gotten it.
                  Oy. "Traditional pre-eminence of Eurasia" - how many civilations outside of Eurasia can you say were pre-eminent or dominant over those in Eurasia before the rise of the US? Very few. Egypt, perhaps Carthage... The Aztecs, Mayans, Olmecs, Inca, Sioux/Lakota, Iriquois/Houdanesee were never dominent or pre-eminent over Eurasian civilizations. The only ones that came close, I'd argue is Songhai and Mali in Africa, but they still lagged behind the Islamic empires of the Mid East and Turkey.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And I agree, and I said it earlier. However, I object to the term Eurasian, because its throws in Europe, when infact, it was almost entirely the Asian side of the equation (with the notable except of Rome who were powerful from what, around the defeat of Hannibal whenver that was to the 4th century AD) So we must say that it was mainly the Asian continent which were economic powerhouses until the last few centuries. You can throw in the Songhai and Mali too, and the Inca (who dominated a vast area) and the Aztec, who were the most powerful north american power until the Europeans came and cleaned house.

Which brings us back to the point of comparing todays developped countries (the west), who were once the dominated, with todays LDCs, many of which were the historic dominators, which to me makes perfect sense, since we are looking at historic 'winners' who are today's losers' and historic 'losers' who are todays 'winners'.

anyways, have I still missed anything, or is it all covered?

Comment

However, I object to the term Eurasian, because its throws in Europe, when infact, it was almost entirely the Asian side of the equation (with the notable except of Rome who were powerful from what, around the defeat of Hannibal whenver that was to the 4th century AD)

Europe didn't just have Rome, but also Alexander's Greece, Muslim Spain (which was, in fact, in Europe), and after 1500, Europe states started becoming very powerful, usurping Asia fairly quickly.

You can't merely say Asia was the most powerful area, because there are many European examples as a counter... and the fact that, realistically, Europe and Asia aren't seperate continents (as like the Americas).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Europe didn't just have Rome, but also Alexander's Greece, Muslim Spain (which was, in fact, in Europe), and after 1500, Europe states started becoming very powerful, usurping Asia fairly quickly.

You can't merely say Asia was the most powerful area, because there are many European examples as a counter... and the fact that, realistically, Europe and Asia aren't seperate continents (as like the Americas).
                        Alexanders greece was centered in Asia (persia, middle east, egypte, all the way to india) and was not a european power. Muslim spain was an extension of the Islamic Empire, and was dominated by the Moors (who controlled North Africa and came north.) So no, that was no european either.

Comment

And btw, nearly everyone accepts that Europe and Asia are separate continents.

Comment

Glad to learn that Rome wasn't an Italian power
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

hé, de quoi je me mêle?

Comment

likewise.
                                I'm sure you'll get a PhD and become the Sec. of the Treasury some day. You still won't make any sense though.

Comment

Working...
                                X