No announcement yet.

The Economist: Emerging Economies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iufmizufhoahbviuz hfhoizfj%/^kzj oihrffnpzz ^lggpz kjzehfo oijfzo foijzpik^yscvbp jpfzo^pojkcz^$gglg p^^^^ xwtrdaq è-_çujpp lfje lojufzihfjzpof mmmmùfc
    must be how they speak in Belgium.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

With your level of comprehension, I'm sure you think that.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
        I misread the statement and was wrong, but I can't admit it
        Fixed
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

for me, the wealth of a society = GDP/ GDP per capita/ HDI. I dont know, maybe Im wrong.
          First of all, all of those things tell you different things.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

First of all, all of those things tell you different things.

yep, but they are all measures of a wealth of a society.

Fixed
            uh huh. his statement was false - there is no such thing as a traditional EURASIAN power. which is what he said. which is what i objected to.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

And he strikes again! Off to the ignore list with you. Either you're stupid, either you're willfully raping other people's statements, and I can't stand either.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

yep, but they are all measures of a wealth of a society.
                If you measure wealth by all those statistics you're confused, because you come up with different numbers. That's like saying I own 2, 3 and 4 houses.

Comment

Why? GDP measures total economic output. GDP per capita takes GDP and removes the skewing affect of population (which, for example is why China's $8 trillion GDP is not as impressive as USAs $11 trillion), and HDI adds literacy and health to GDP/capita, which is useful to see how well spread out wealth is (obviously, it is most important in OPCs since they generally have a high GDP/ capita, but low health/ literacy)

Comment

Why? GDP measures total economic output. GDP per capita takes GDP and removes the skewing affect of population (which, for example is why China's $8 trillion GDP is not as impressive as USAs $11 trillion), and HDI adds literacy and health to GDP/capita, which is useful to see how well spread out wealth is (obviously, it is most important in OPCs since they generally have a high GDP/ capita, but low health/ literacy)
                    So China has a high GDP and a low GDP/capita. Is it wealthy or not?

Comment

So China has a high GDP and a low GDP/capita. Is it wealthy or not?

Parts of it are wealthy, parts of it are not. It is a poor country in terms of what each citizen has, but it is wealthy enough to be able to use its economic power for regional political ends.

Comment

This LoA/Colon slagging match is interesting.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It would be interesting if LoA could actually argue worth a damn...
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Parts of it are wealthy, parts of it are not.
                            That's pretty close to the point I was trying to make in the beginning. Just because the Aztecs had canals and so forth doesn't mean the Aztec people were wealthy, or had a high stardard of living.

Comment

That's pretty close to the point I was trying to make in the beginning. Just because the Aztecs had canals and so forth doesn't mean the Aztec people were wealthy, or had a high stardard of living.

and I agree, but you also must look at the fact that the Aztecs and Incas were not living at a subsistance level, while most europeans were (not to mention being swept by plagues, cold snaps, famines, etc.)

This LoA/Colon slagging match is interesting.
                              he left in a huff

I just want to know - and any of you circling sharks here can answer - do you believe that todays dominant powers, namely the West, has any historical claim to being the dominant powers throughout history. Does anyone really believe that, as Colon so eloquently put it . . .

If the author would have wanted to write an article about the grand scheme of things, he'd been better off noting that the traditional pre-eminence of Eurasia got broken by the rise of North America (although it's a child of Eurasia)
                              Let me know. . .

Comment

I can't believe LoA is still defending his argument... it's like Bush still arguing Iraq had WMD's, but they just hid them somewhere.

You misread Colon's statement, LoA. Just get over it.

A better question to ask is if anyone thinks that the Americas or Africa was ever home to a dominent power after Egypt fell to Alexander's Greece... until the rise of the US?

That would be consistent with Colon's statement that the Eurasia has been traditionally pre-eminent in the history of Earth (which is true, btw).
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X