No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The basic problem you have with monarchy supporters, as you see with C0ckney, is that you can present any solution you want (democratic, accountable, self-funding) and they'll simply say it's not good enough on the grounds of the lack of some arbitary feature like wipe-clean surfaces or a vanilla scent. The fact is that it's just blind denial.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• well of course laz, except for the fact that you're completely and utterly wrong

from a mori poll in 2001.

Q1 If there were a referendum on the issue, would you favour Britain becoming a republic or remaining a monarchy?

Republic 19 %
      Monarchy 70 %
      Would not vote 3 %
      Don't know 8 %
      some related stuff from the bbc

As part of a live BBC debate - Our monarchy: the next 50 years - we gave you the opportunity to have your say about the British monarchy.

Voting took place via the telephone and internet. Digital satellite viewers were also able to vote via their remote control handsets.

Is the Monarchy out of Date?

Yes 41%
      No 57%

Does the Monarchy cost too much?

Yes 44%
      No 54%

Who should be the next head of state?

Charles 49%
      William 32%
      A President 19%
      so you've got no arguement, nothing real to say and have less than 1 in 5 people agreeing with your republican view.

QED mother****er.

[/samuel l. jackson]
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
        The basic problem you have with monarchy supporters, as you see with C0ckney, is that you can present any solution you want...
        it might be an idea to start by, you know, actually presenting a solution...
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney
          well of course laz, except for the fact that you're completely and utterly wrong

from a mori poll in 2001.

some related stuff from the bbc

so you've got no arguement, nothing real to say and have less than 1 in 5 people agreeing with your republican view.

QED mother****er.

[/samuel l. jackson]
          Oh damn, the Sun and Mirror reading public don't agree with me. Boo hoo...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• well that's democracy for you

Comment

• I think you'll find I was referring to the poll at the top of this thread. Maybe it's a sign that a MORI poll is more persuasive that you?

Comment

• What's interesting to note from C0ckney's polls, is that in 2001 MORI reported only 19% favouring a republic. Just one year later, the BBC poll reports over 40% saying the monarchy is out of date. What sort of trends might one draw from that?

Furthermore, dear royalists, how high would that 40% need to go before you accept a vote on the subject is justified?

Comment

• sit down, shut up.

would that be the same poll that has 19% saying they want the next head of state to be 'a president', the exact same % that want a republic in the mori poll, funnily enough.

oh, but what's that...you meant people on 'poly, and all i've got to come back with are the views of the BRITISH PEOPLE...who ya know this actually concerns. how silly of me etc.

this is just brilliant. you've got nothing, absolutely nothing, and yet you're still here. now that's interesting.

Comment

• Yeah. Laz, you criminal

Comment

• Nah, laz isn't criminal, he just manipulate statistics a little worse than C0ckney does
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Well C0ckney, if you're relying on the average rank and file of British society to back up your argument, well, I couldn't imagine how much lower you could sink
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Re: sit down, shut up.

Originally posted by C0ckney
                          would that be the same poll that has 19% saying they want the next head of state to be 'a president', the exact same % that want a republic in the mori poll, funnily enough.

oh, but what's that...you meant people on 'poly, and all i've got to come back with are the views of the BRITISH PEOPLE...who ya know this actually concerns. how silly of me etc.
                          Excellent. So you've no objection to putting it to the vote on a five-yearly basis then? Because I don't know about you, but I think MORI polls of 1000 people is no basis to select a government or head of state.

Incidentally, try comparing the figures from the 1999 MORI poll. You'll notice the monarchy stance appears to be in decline.

Comment

• Let's blow out some more royalist propaganda, shall we?

Anyone want to hear how the Duchy of Cornwall has ruthlessly exploited its tax-free status to translate in uncompetitive business tactics over the past 15 years? It's a doozy.

Comment

• If there's a majority that wants to keep the monarchy, what is this debate all about?

PH - bull****, the average Joe is the one who the ystem is made for. You're an elitist git

Comment

• No one said the majority was right. I'm one of the minority with a brain
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X