No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's because, seeing as the head of the state represents the people, I expect to see them selected and held accountable by those people they represent.

Now why don't you think heads of state should be selected and held accountable by the public? Are you ashamed to voice your own reasons?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• detail, context etc.? (i know we can't expect miracles, but still...)

i think the current system we have works well for our country and as no one (least of all you) has come up with anything better, i don't see a need to change it.

something does not need to be 'democratic' to be a vital and well functioning component of a democracy.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Re: more duck than donald...(what a surprise)

Originally posted by C0ckney
        see the reason i wouldn't argue with you in a thread about biochemistry, or whatever it is you do, is that it would expose my near total ignorance of the subject.

you could learn a lot from me.
        The reasons are obvious, the civil list costs one hell of a lot of money for what return? Tourism? They don't come to personally meet The Queen, so that is a moot point, so why? When they could be replaced with a much more loved and well respected ambassador to this country...and this is where David Attenborough is a good hypothetical example. So tell me, how are they not a waste of money?

And do not presume me to be ignorant. I usually try and conduct myself with a jovial manner, but never underestimate me...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney
          i think the current system we have works well for our country and as no one (least of all you) has come up with anything better, i don't see a need to change it.
          A democratically elected head of state? What particular aspect of this concept seems to be causing you difficulty?

something does not need to be 'democratic' to be a vital and well functioning component of a democracy.
          It's a matter of principle. Because it is a democracy the head of state should be democratically elected.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Political offices should be elected, sure, but is the head of state of GB and the Commonwealth a political office? Should it be?

Is either PH or Laz fond of the American system of electing judges?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I have to grant that we get a bit of what Laz and PH are advocating. The Windsors are 'over there' and we get generally well regarded citizens appointed by the PM and rubber stamped by Buckingham Palace serving as GG.

We have the monarchy without the clan living here and annoying people.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                Political offices should be elected, sure, but is the head of state of GB and the Commonwealth a political office? Should it be?

Is either PH or Laz fond of the American system of electing judges?
                or for that matter police chiefs.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• And prosecutors.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• Still with this silly talk!?

A vote for Tyrany is a vote for sanity
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

No.
                      What limits would you set?
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• I voted: I live in a Monarchy, I want to live in a Republic.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                            Political offices should be elected, sure, but is the head of state of GB and the Commonwealth a political office? Should it be?
                            It is, and whether it should be is irrelevant, because it can't be anything else.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Re: Re: more duck than donald...(what a surprise)

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              The reasons are obvious, the civil list costs one hell of a lot of money for what return? Tourism? They don't come to personally meet The Queen, so that is a moot point, so why?
                              the monarchy costs very little in the scheme of things.

in any case, if a government department wastes money, which they all do, almost without exception, is that a reason to abolish the government. i think not.

once again, something does not have to be 'democratic' to be part of a democratic system. we don't elect the house of lords, or our judges, yet they play vital roles in our democracy. it’s your case to make, simply saying 'it's a matter of principle' is no substitute for an argument i'm afraid.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: more duck than donald...(what a surprise)

Originally posted by C0ckney

the monarchy costs very little in the scheme of things.

in any case, if a government department wastes money, which they all do, almost without exception, is that a reason to abolish the government. i think not.

once again, something does not have to be 'democratic' to be part of a democratic system. we don't elect the house of lords, or our judges, yet they play vital roles in our democracy. it’s your case to make, simply saying 'it's a matter of principle' is no substitute for an argument i'm afraid.
                                So because there are other wastes this one is acceptable...all wastes should be eliminated where possible, and the monarchy is one of them.

Besides, what do you define 'in the scheme of things'. The military, health and social security budgets? In that case, Bill Gates earns very little 'in the scheme of things'...your logic just doesn't stand up to scrutiny...
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X