No announcement yet.

Monarchy or Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you try to make it sound like a good thing, when all they do is making things worse?
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Because it is a good thing. You don't discontinue a well-functioning practice unless you have something better to replace it.

Comment

TEH REPUBLIC:

Bush trying to making himself Emperor:

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          Because it is a good thing. You don't discontinue a well-functioning practice unless you have something better to replace it.
          Like a Republic
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You don't discontinue a well-functioning practice unless you have something better to replace it.
            That's correct, but since monarchy isn't well-functioning, then we should replace it

Comment

According to 92% of the population here, it most certainly is.

Comment

And according to 80% of the population the world is flat

Comment

To the population of Sønderborg maybe.

Anyway, people don't usually get to influence the geometrical shape of worlds, like they do their constitutional system of government.

Comment

Monarchy

Republic (though the president should NOT have too much power and rise above party politics (well...some anyway).
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

There are two practical differences.

1) In a Monarchy, you get a head of state for all of the populace, elevated beyond petty political divisions, to act - with the rest of the family - as an inspiration and a guidance to a significant number of people

2) You get consistency in the highest representative function of the state - unparalleled by any other system of governance. In our case, at present our Crown Prince has had 37 years of preparing for the job, taking clues from his mother, developing his own way of managing things, acquainting himself with the country's history, political life, sciences and industry - and forming relations and friendships with prominent people here and throughout the rest of the world. A Monarch is, in most cases, without comparison better schooled for the position of heading a nation, than an elected politician could ever be.

We've only had 3 different heads of state since 1912, each one under the natural influence of his or her predecessor, but at the same time forming and developing their position in their own personal way, to meet the demands and expectations of the changing society. I can't imagine anything more appropriate.

Monarchy
                      You grovelling serf. Personally speaking, I'd boil them all down for glue.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Yes, but then you're British, I'm led to understand. Makes sense then.

Comment

Do I spot yet another royals thread?
                          Attached Files
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Indeed it does. We stopped thinking that forelock-tugging obsequiousness was a satisfactory way to conduct oneself as a populace round about the time Wat Tyler started getting a bit pissed off.

Comment

Oh, here we go. "Forget about democratic representation! Look! Titties!".

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                                Indeed it does. We stopped thinking that forelock-tugging obsequiousness was a satisfactory way to conduct oneself as a populace round about the time Wat Tyler started getting a bit pissed off.
                                Isn't this an English forum?
                                forelock-tugging obsequiousness

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X