• Show
Clear All

Rolling over for China
    Not rolling over for the US

KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Everyone kind of focuses on China, but Google self-censors itself for Germany as well and other countries that have as stringent hate laws.

Google follows the laws of the country they are in... if Bush wins the case that will be upcoming, Google is going to be giving your info to the Justice Dept (they aren't going to be shutting down, silly). Google decided that this request has no merit, while China's and Germany's actions are well versed in both their country's laws and won't be overturned.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Actually, it just seems that bucking the US government won't cost Google anything, while bucking the Chinese government will. It's nice that they have a backbone, but that backbone seems disappear pretty quickly when taking a stand would actually hurt the company's bottom line.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Taking a stand against the Chinese government just means they ban you. They don't care.

That gives Chinese startups a headstart on google in one of the fastest growing markets.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Taking a stand against the Chinese government just means they ban you. They don't care.

Exactly. The US government, OTOH, can't do anything to Google, which makes thumbing your nose at the US authorities a lot more attractive than doing the same to the Chinese.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
            X