A beautiful sunny day in Vilnius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Serb
    Do you really know what the f*ck is -30C, -40C or -50C? Not to mention divining while it is so cold?
    Sissies, my ass.
    You, common Euros start screaming when it's -25C and when you're wearing all winter gear you have. At -30C an average Russian just dive in an ice-hole while other Russians keep it in shape by scooping-out the ice wich generates there constantly.
    And you call us a sissies?

Man, here we have a white bears with balalaikas walking at our streets.

Incredibly severe Siberian frosts to hit Moscow for three days

Muscovites will have to experience the true Siberian cold during the religious holiday of Epiphany celebrated on January 19. Meteorologists say that night temperatures will reach 34 degrees below zero, which will be two degrees lower than the absolute record that has ever been registered in Moscow before. Daytime will not be a relief for Muscovites, though: -25 degrees Celsius. It will become a little bit "warmer" during the weekend: -26 at night and -18 degrees in the afternoon.
    Sissies
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

• Muscovites are Euros and they are indeed a sissies.

Btw, it's -43C today here.
      Last edited by Serb; January 23, 2006, 23:43.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: A beautiful sunny day in Vilnius

Originally posted by Vince278
        Drink vodka?
        They dive in cold water.

How about Alexsandr Solzenitsen?
        What about this lunatic?

Comment

Muscovites are Euros and they are indeed a sissies.

Btw, it's -43C today here.
          Just surprised that -32 was the cold record for Moscow. The Russian winter is supposed to be cold, you know.

-43 on the other hand, now THAT's winter

Comment

• -32C was a cold record for Moscow for that exact date of the year (January 19).
            They monitor daily temperatures for about a hundred years there (like in other major Russian cities). So it's pretty easy to find which year January 19th was the coldest.

Comment

• Spring is coming!!!

This is a report for Vilnius, Lithuania. The report was made 43 minutes ago, at 08:50 UTC. The wind was blowing at a speed of 3.1 meters per second (6.9 miles per hour) from south (180°). The temperature was -18 °C (-0 °F), with a dew-point at -20 °C (-4 °F). The atmospheric pressure was 1042 hPa (30.77 inHg). The relative humidity was 84.2%. The overall visibility was 4000 meter (13123 feet). Currently mist.
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

-32C was a cold record for Moscow for that exact date of the year (January 19).
                They monitor daily temperatures for about a hundred years there (like in other major Russian cities). So it's pretty easy to find which year January 19th was the coldest.
                Ok, that makes sense.
                I just found this:

The Arctic conditions were enough to stop several clocks on the capital’s streets, but the drop to -31°C (-23.8°F) just missed out on the -32°C (-25.6°F) record for January 19 in the last 100 years, which was registered in 1927.

Muscovites and visitors to the capital can take some comfort, though, as the chill does seem to be heading toward the coldest date on record - January 17, 1940 - when the temperature fell to -42°C (-43.6°F).
                Which sounds more reasonable.

But damn I wish we had such temps more often over here
                I guess I should visit you some time and enjoy Siberia for real, not just dream about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin
                  I've walked to school many times when the wind chill was -40 or colder.

Minnesotans:
                  I used to walk to school man times when it was... uh... 40-50 degrees F.

Californians
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• californians

besides, minnesotans cant even surf.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

Ok, that makes sense.
                      I just found this:

Muscovites and visitors to the capital can take some comfort, though, as the chill does seem to be heading toward the coldest date on record - January 17, 1940 - when the temperature fell to -42°C (-43.6°F).
                      Which sounds more reasonable.
                      Yes, it was an extremly cold winter with temperatures lower than -50C in some European parts of Russia. It was the coldest winter for a previous 150 year period, probably a some kind of divine intervention to help Finland.

But damn I wish we had such temps more often over here
                      I guess I should visit you some time and enjoy Siberia for real, not just dream about it
                      Believe me, freezing your ass at -40C, it's not that great.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: A beautiful sunny day in Vilnius

Originally posted by Serb
                        They dive in cold water.
                        Before or after the vodka?

Originally posted by Serb
                        What about this lunatic?
                        Read any of his books?
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• He wrote 'Gulag Achipelago' where you can see Russian culture in action...and 'August 1914' where you can see Russian military excellence in action...

EDIT: Nowadays I believe he'd fit right in with the 'New Russia', I think he's on about the Jews or something right?
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• He also wrote Cancer Ward, where you can read about russian medical excellence in action.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• which is all teh evil zionist capitalist propaganda. You should know by now...
                              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

As for you pics, I bet the temperature there was about 0C, (the water is not steaming and there are no people who scoop-out the ice from the ice-hole) not -30C and some religious folks deep in Siberia commited the ritual while it was about -50C. The power of the spirit
                                Don't want to hurt your russian feelings Serb, but liquid water is always at 0C, regardless of external temp, even -80C.
                                To drop below that, you need unpure (sea, polluted,...) or depressurised water.
                                Outside temperature is meaningless here... well, as long as you don't step out, of course...

edit: I wrote pressurised water first, but I think it is rather depressurised water.
                                Last edited by Dry; January 25, 2006, 11:13.
                                The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                                X