A beautiful sunny day in Vilnius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither

Yeah, that was a cold snap. Imagine what it was like in Edmonton, 300 k to the north, where the outdoor game was actually played...
    Never seen -48C

Just barely made it to -40 one time (not in Montreal; up in the Laurentians)

That is ****ass cold.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Steaming river Neris:
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
        I find that difficult to believe, unless they have a large problem with homeless and no ability to shelter them in subways, etc.
        Yeah. In Montreal they go around handing out blankets any time the temp gets below -20C in case the homeless don't want to go/are afraid of going to the shelters.

They also leave Metro doors unlocked any time it's predicted to get cold overnight. Most of the homeless people try to sleep in the Metro during the daytime, then are active at night so they won't freeze during their sleep.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

-25C is definitely cold enough to freeze to death outside if you go to sleep and don't have proper insulation. But it isn't really cold enough to freeze anybody who's active and has any sort of protective clothing.

-30C is when you really start to get into frostbite danger. Wander around outside without a hat for 20 minutes and you might come back in missing some bits of your ears. Below that is really dangerous.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

True dat. I went to lunch on thursday without a hat when it was 27ish, and had to buy one before I decided to go back :|
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

There's only so much good circulation can do for you. I've never had frostbite. But I've come damn close a couple of times.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: A beautiful sunny day in Vilnius

Originally posted by Saras
                I know it makes no impression for Canadians or Serb, but still...

This is a report for Vilnius, Lithuania. The report was made 23 minutes ago, at 07:20 UTC. The wind was blowing at a speed of 4.6 meters per second (10.4 miles per hour) from north/northeast (030°). The temperature was -25 °C (-13 °F), with a dew-point at -29 °C (-20 °F). The temperature felt like -34 °C (-32 °F). The atmospheric pressure was 1022 hPa (30.18 inHg). The relative humidity was 69.0%. There were no clouds below 1500 meter (5000 feet) and no cumulonimbus clouds. The overall visibility was greater than 10 kilometers (6.2 miles).

I want some local, if not global, warming!

On the upside, there were no traffic jams as many cars just did not start
                And you think it's cold?

Here it's -37C now and we had such weather for a last ten days. I remember five years ago it was below -40C for a half of January. That was cool, considering that I had to work outside all day. Keep trains running while it's -46C outside - it's one of the most valuable experiences I ever had in my lifetime.

Fragile pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                  Wow. No Serb yet. He must be sick.
                  Keep dreaming, you better check your own pressure.
                  Last edited by Serb; January 21, 2006, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                    [Serb]A lot of homeless people freeze to death on western streets as well[/Serb]
                    Russians have much better cold resistance. We are masters of survival and do not die everytime we broke a nail or when temperature drops below +10C.
                    Two days ago there was a great Christian holiday here. And despite the frost, guess what Russians did?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Serb; January 21, 2006, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Russians have much better cold resistance. We are masters of survival and do not die everytime we broke a nail or when tempurature drops below +10C.
                      Two days ago there was a great Christian holiday here. And despite the frost, guess what Russians did?
                      Nah, they look like a bunch of sissies - theay are running through it.

Here are some danes swimming :
                      Attached Files
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

and here some "cool" and relaxed people :
                        Attached Files
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Russians have much better cold resistance. We are masters of survival and do not die everytime we broke a nail or when tempurature drops below +10C.
                          [notSerb]Not all that Special, Swedes and Fins do that stuff too.[/notSerb]
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I wish to see you swiming, when it's -30C and you've never done this before. Most of the Russians who swim at this holiday are just a common people who usually don't swim at winter time. They swim this day, because the religious ritual demands it, not because they are professional winter-swimmers.

Comment

As for you pics, I bet the temperature there was about 0C, (the water is not steaming and there are no people who scoop-out the ice from the ice-hole) not -30C and some religious folks deep in Siberia commited the ritual while it was about -50C. The power of the spirit

Comment

As I said - sissies. They even do it because of the most unintelligent reason there exist - religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X