Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will never give up pizza.

Comment

At this point in my life, I've just said, "**** it!".

Maybe I'll start exercising again, but I don't know. I really can't say for sure.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Worked 12 hours yesterday and was to tired to do anything after work. At least I was working outside so I go some excercise. It's currently 5:25 and I need to be at work in an hour so I can do another 12 hour day (a big project needs to be finished by friday) but I think I will go for a short jog. I really want to get back into shape.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If you are really pressed for time, instead of a short jog, usually sprints or lunges are much more effective. Short jogs don't really raise heartrate or build endurance.
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            what does this thread have to do with homosexuals?
            I have no idea. Someone else brought it up.

You should really look into the Home Workout Bible.

Oh, and get rid of pizza. Seriously. Make it a - tops- twice-a-month thing. Pizza, french fries, ice cream, and soda WILL keep you out of shape.
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
              If you are really pressed for time, instead of a short jog, usually sprints or lunges are much more effective. Short jogs don't really raise heartrate or build endurance.
              Jumprope
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Ask anyone and they will tell you that 70% of body building is nutrition. You can buy all the books you want with all these theories on how to work out, but as long as you stimulate your muscles they will respond. Anyone can go work out at a gym, but only the serious people have very strict nutritional regimines.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  yeah, I've been doing pushups a lot lately. In fact, it's my main upper body workout, because my 25 lb dumbells were bothering my back, because I hurt my back early last year. I should get lighter dumbells.
                  Dumbells and sit-ups are the easiest way to work your upper body at home but can do damage if you do the exercises wrong.

You don't mention using an exercise bench. If you don't you can't really do the necessary range of exercises to work all the muscle groups. I use a bench that can be adjusted and also inclined for sit-ups/crunches. If you don't have one - get one. Get 2 or 3 different pairs of dumbells of different weights (your current pair plus a lighter set would do) as 25lbs can be too much to start with for some of the basic dumbell exercises.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by StarLightDeath
                    Ask anyone and they will tell you that 70% of body building is nutrition.
                    Does that number stink from just being pulled out of your ass?

It's a balance. People can rely heavily on nutrition and light on exercise, or heavily on exercise and light on nutrition.

Evander Holyfield used to eat at least 3 Big Mac's a day when he was training for his fights.

And I'm not talking about "body building". I'm talking about weight-loss, strength training, endurance, etc.

Body building is not something I would recommend for anyone. It's really unhealthy.

I can only speak from experience though. And even so called "experts" will differ on what they think is best for weight loss and training for sports.

Basically, there is no way to really go wrong. As long as you are doing some sort of combination of nutrition + exercise, you will see results. But there certainly is not a percentage where you can say like "70% is nutrition" or whatever.

I was training for about 5 years at a really high level: 4-6 days a week, a pretty strict diet, working with a personal trainer and my doctor, and working with my various team trainers... the guy who I learned the most from was a former trainer for the San Jose Sharks who I worked with for about a year, about August of 1997 to 1998. He joined the coaching staff of my high school team my senior year and worked with me real close on and off the ice. And then after our season ended, he helped me get to the next level and even helped me as I tried out and made a Junior A team. I decided to go to college instead of play hockey, but I wouldn't have been able to get into the physical shape needed to compete at that level without him.

The point is, I know a lot about training and could help anyone out if they want to start a program, whether it be something light or if it is something serious.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      At this point in my life, I've just said, "**** it!".

Maybe I'll start exercising again, but I don't know. I really can't say for sure.
                      I used to to one hell of a lot of swimming, about 160 lengths a go three times a week (that's about 4km a go). Haven't done it for ages...I am doing about once a week so far and nowhere near that far now but I think it is far more healthy to have a realistic schedule rather than something unattainable.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Doesn't matter what sport you do, the personal trainers are there to hit specific muscles used in the sport you are training for. It was the same way for when I played tennis. Training is pointless if you don't eat right. I find it hard to take your opinion seriously sava when you look the way you do. Working out a few hours a week with perfect nutrition is better than working out 20 hours a week with poor nutrition. It's easy to get in shape if you eat right.

Comment

You can buy all the books you want with all these theories on how to work out, but as long as you stimulate your muscles they will respond.
                          Um...I was responding to the inquiry of what exercises (eg: squats, preacher curl, row, tricep extension) he could do, because he didn't know the vast amount of exercises available. He doesn't want to get hurt, and looking at the exercises given by professionals is helpful.

Not entirely sure why you had to make it a "gay" argument...or even an argument at all.

Comment

I find it hard to take your opinion seriously sava when you look the way you do.
                            I don't care if you take my opinion seriously or not.

I'm letting other people know of my past experience so they can benefit from it. If they want my help, fine. If not, then whatever.

I've gained weight in the past 2 years because I've completely given up on life, exercise, and basically everything else. Just because I don't use the knowledge I have doesn't mean I still don't know what I'm talking about.

If I wanted to, I could start working out tomorrow, and within 6 months I could start to be back in to really awesome shape. However, my motivation just isn't there.

And targeting specific muscles is a bad idea. You want to strength train entire regions. Everything is connected. If you strengthen one muscle group, but neglect another, you will be more susceptable to injuries.

Also, unless you are just starting out, I would advise people to stay away from machines. Free weights are the way to go.

The only thing machines are good for is isolating a muscle, which is only useful if you are rehabing from an injury, or if you are just starting a strength training program and don't feel comfortable with weights. But if you are a newbie, remember, start slow, learn how to lift properly first. Form is more important then how much weight you are lifting. It's not a competition. Don't worry about how much you are lifting. It's more important you get your form right.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Even Gramps returns to working out!

Ok

I used to compete and be very active in Martial Arts, let myself go. I am now facing health issue such as Diabettes and high Blood pressure.

I have started working out at night, and same as many folks getting a few years on, have a bad back and poor knees.

I am 6'1" 280 pounds.

I have started to walk, on a machine.

I am up to 2.5 miles , burning 100 Fat Grams and 325 Calories in 46 minutes. I walk at 3.2 mph.

I am down to 2000 calories a day.

No, these are not numbers to brag upon but it is numbers that far exceed what I have been doing.

I have a weight station in garage I will start back on next week. I was laughing a a previous comment about dumbells being possibly too light.

I am a big frammed and pretty muscular man, so I am not looking to bulk up, but rather burn off calories and fat. So I will be doing low weights, high reps.

I feel for folks whom choose to not work out because they,like I, were looking a free ride, a magic pill or shortcut. Bottom line, hard work,proper diet and excercise will get your health where you need it.

As allways, please dont consult Apolyton, but rather a Medical Professional

Gramps
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

i only use free weights
                                i keep the beer in the basement
                                and i try to control my carb intake

and I'm a hunk....

wifey is laughing
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X