workout (exercise) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workout (exercise) thread

I'm looking for websites that describe how to do various exercises. I'm no athlete, or expert on this stuff. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. I'm just doing things I think will improve strength in certain areas.

The only thing is, knee problems and back problems sometimes creep up on me. I had to cut down on my stair stepper because I was pushing myself too hard, and my knees were bothering me. Problems I sometimes have when hiking too. . But the stairstepper is a great device for improving my hiking abilities. It's important to do it without using the handlegrips.

What about upper body workouts? How do I improve my forearms more? And of course shoulders, biceps, back, and chest improvements are needed as well.

So if there is an all-in one website that describes how to improve certain parts of the body, that would be great. Free of course, as I don't like paying for anything on the internet. . And I'm mainly looking for home exercises, as I don't like gyms. Because I can't listen to loud heavy metal music, and make a general fool of myself in public like that.

Just doing pushups can actually do wonders for your upper body.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

yeah, I've been doing pushups a lot lately. In fact, it's my main upper body workout, because my 25 lb dumbells were bothering my back, because I hurt my back early last year. I should get lighter dumbells.

Comment

Lighter dumbells? You weakling!!

Comment

I basicly walk for 30 minutes to an hour. I have a hard time working my upper body mostly because of some cut nerves from surgery and a hirn. disk. If I wanted to lift weights, I'd have to lay on my back first.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            yeah, I've been doing pushups a lot lately. In fact, it's my main upper body workout, because my 25 lb dumbells were bothering my back, because I hurt my back early last year. I should get lighter dumbells.
            For a man of average size there are any number of exercise that you should be able to do with 25lb dumbells. If you hurt your back, I doubt it was the weight so much as not maintaining proper form
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You could get an iPod and go to a gym. You'd get your loud metal, and no one cares what you do there so.. you can make a fool of yourself if you want to.

Have a personal trainer show you the moves and make you a program, if slow in money, let them just show you how to use the equipment, should be free or cheap if you get a membership.

That is, if you want results.

If you want ot talk about it, and not make any results, forget this post and continue
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

First thing is you should make sure that you don't have any knee, back or other probs that you could make worse by either proper or improper exercise. If structurally everything is ok the knee and back probs might be caused by not having a strong enough body core. Basically your back and stomach muscles both need to be strong to support your body and improve results from your workouts and help prevent injuries.

I would suggest working on your body core by doing pushups, situps and scrunches before doing much lifting at all, especially if you've never done any before. Biking, swimming and lighter stairmaster\hiking for aerobics that will be less stressful on your joints until your core gets stronger.

Remember you don't really even need weights to get toned. You can even do alot by doing isometric exercises anywhere. Push the palms of your hands together to work arms, chest, and core. Just do a search of isometric exercise and you can get a bunch of simple exercises you can do with no weights at all. When you get stronger then move up to the weights. Machines are prolly safer for inexperienced lifters, but free weights prolly give better overall results. For example a machine bench press you are just pushing the weight up, but not having to balance it from falling from side to side or backward to forward while doing the lift. All this maintaining balance while using free weights works more muscle groups.

Prolly the best thing would be to circuit train with light weights and high reps. Then just mix in your aerobic exercise of choice, either the stairmaster or stationary bike.

Best Regards,
                Stuntman19

Comment

Originally posted by stuntman19
                  First thing is you should make sure that you don't have any knee, back or other probs that you could make worse by either proper or improper exercise. If structurally everything is ok the knee and back probs might be caused by not having a strong enough body core. Basically your back and stomach muscles both need to be strong to support your body and improve results from your workouts and help prevent injuries.

I would suggest working on your body core by doing pushups, situps and scrunches before doing much lifting at all, especially if you've never done any before. Biking, swimming and lighter stairmaster\hiking for aerobics that will be less stressful on your joints until your core gets stronger.

Remember you don't really even need weights to get toned. You can even do alot by doing isometric exercises anywhere. Push the palms of your hands together to work arms, chest, and core. Just do a search of isometric exercise and you can get a bunch of simple exercises you can do with no weights at all. When you get stronger then move up to the weights. Machines are prolly safer for inexperienced lifters, but free weights prolly give better overall results. For example a machine bench press you are just pushing the weight up, but not having to balance it from falling from side to side or backward to forward while doing the lift. All this maintaining balance while using free weights works more muscle groups.

Prolly the best thing would be to circuit train with light weights and high reps. Then just mix in your aerobic exercise of choice, either the stairmaster or stationary bike.

Best Regards,
                  Stuntman19
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Shop our wide selection of supplements including protein powder, pre workout, vitamins, BCAAs, and more with free shipping on qualified orders!
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Bodybuilding.com is definitely the best site. Before you do anything you should measure your body fat and set up a nutritional program. Nutrition is more important than exercise.

Comment

I did five miles today. Well ran about 2.5 miles and walked 2.5 miles. I'm going to have to ease my way back into running and I fear it may be awhile before I can run a half marathon again. Still my goal, unreached last year due to being lazy, is to run a marathon by the end of this year. That's going to mean a lot of diet and excesize changes for me but I want to do it.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Dis, if you have knee and back problems then give swimming a try. It is a great total body work out that also trains you for breath control but is low impact on your joints.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Or cycling... Dis sounds more like the outdoor type
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

or skiing. hit the slopes., not just downhill, but crosscountry and seal-skin works the upperboddy too. downhill is the reward for climbin the mountain.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                              X