Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8th grader with pellet gun shot and killed by SWAT team in School.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8th grader with pellet gun shot and killed by SWAT team in School.

Fla. Eighth-Grader Shot by Deputies Dies

By KELLI KENNEDY, Associated Press Writer 12 minutes ago

A reportedly suicidal teenager who was shot by police while brandishing a pellet gun in his middle school has died of his injuries, his family's spokeswoman said Saturday.

Kelly Swofford, a neighbor who had been with the family all morning, stood outside their home and confirmed that 15-year-old Christopher Penley had died.

"They want to donate his organs because that is what Chris would want," Swofford said. "The family is devastated, just devastated."

Penley, of Winter Springs, was accused of pulling the pellet gun in a classroom Friday and pointing it at other students before forcing one into a closet, then leading deputies and SWAT team members on a chase that ended in a school bathroom.

When he raised the gun at a deputy, a SWAT team member shot him, authorities said.

Officers who had responded to the 1,100-student school in suburban Orlando believed the gun was a Beretta 9mm, and didn't learn until after the shooting that it was a pellet gun.

Police had said Friday night that the boy was on "advanced life support." The hospital refused to release any information Saturday.

"Everybody in the whole neighborhood is really upset," Paul Cavallini, who lives across the street from the Penleys, said Saturday. "He was a quiet kid — polite and everything. He was just a normal teenager."

However, friends and investigators say he was also bullied and emotionally distraught, and went to school that day expecting to die.

Patrick Lafferty, a 15-year-old neighbor who has known Penley about six years, said he wasn't surprised by what happened. He said Penley was a loner who "told me he wanted to kill himself dozens of times."

"He would put his headphones on and walk up and down the street and he would work out a lot," preferring to keep to himself, Lafferty said.

Swofford said the boy had run away from home several times. Her 11-year-old son, Jeffery Swofford, said Penley had said he had something planned.

"He said `I hope I die today because I don't really like my life,'" Jeffery Swofford said.

At a news conference following the shooting Friday at suburban Orlando's Milwee Middle School, authorities put the pellet gun side-by-side with a Beretta. It appeared to have black paint covering the red or pink markings on the muzzle that may have indicated to officers that it was a nonlethal weapon.

"As you can see, it doesn't take a professional to see how close this looks to the real thing. I would not be able to tell the difference," said Joyce Dawley, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement special agent in charge of the investigation.

Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said the incident began about 9:38 a.m., when another student saw Penley with the weapon and struggled with him for it. Pointing the gun at the other student's back, Penley directed him to a closet, dimmed the lights and left the classroom, Eslinger said.

The school went into lockdown.

From there, the sheriff said, Penley traversed the school campus before ending up in a bathroom. By then, more than 40 officers, including SWAT and negotiators, were on scene. He refused to drop the firearm, Eslinger said, and was shot after pointing it at a SWAT deputy.

"The student said he was going to kill himself or die," Eslinger said.

Jeffery Swofford said Penley had been in a disagreement with someone, allegedly over a girl. There was going to be a fight Friday, he said. "I heard a rumor that he had a BB gun, but I didn't think he really had one," he added.

At the school Friday, Marie Hargis, whose son and daughter attend Milwee, held a sign that read "Stop the violence."

"My youngest daughter is just very emotionally messed up," she said. "She started crying and said, `Mommy, I don't want to go back.' They should not fear having to go to school."
    I'm suprised no comments on this so far, I used the search feature but couldn't find any threads. I heard rumors that he was shot in the back, not very reliable, but it isn't that uncommon with the US Police to do such things, the police will always say otherwise, and the news reports it from their standpoint of course.... thoughts?

I'm quite sad about this, as usual.... god isn't there anything uplifting in the news lately?
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

The kid painted the bright orange tip of the pellet gun black so it looked like a 9mm. He said he wanted to kill himself repeatedly.

He pointed said 9mm-look-alike at officer, officer shot, kid dead.

Suicide by cop, not much to talk about.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

. I heard rumors that he was shot in the back, not very reliable, but it isn't that uncommon with the US Police to do such things, the police will always say otherwise, and the news reports it from their standpoint of course.... thoughts?
      What Asher said, the kid was suicidal; and this quoted observation is total bull****.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: 8th grader with pellet gun shot and killed by SWAT team in School.

Originally posted by Thorn

I'm suprised no comments on this so far, I used the search feature but couldn't find any threads. I heard rumors that he was shot in the back, not very reliable, but it isn't that uncommon with the US Police to do such things, the police will always say otherwise, and the news reports it from their standpoint of course.... thoughts?

I'm quite sad about this, as usual.... god isn't there anything uplifting in the news lately?
        Well, go into Law Enforcement, go face a similiar situation and try to determine if that individual will or wont hurt anyone and then make an informed decision whether to take appropriate action.

I am sorry a child died, but a child pointed what appeared to be a 9mm toward another human being and was in fact terrorizing the school

Next time in could be another Columbine

Prayers to all involved
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

What Asher said, the kid was suicidal; and this quoted observation is total bull****.
          ditto

Comment

What a ****. He could have just killed himself rather than terrorise other people and probably psychologically scar the policeman for life Selfish bastard
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't see a problem with the police action here. The cop very reasonably feared for his life and shot the kid.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                I don't see a problem with the police action here. The cop very reasonably feared for his life and shot the kid.
                Indeed

Comment

Even if most of you are turned all against the little one now, I say: poor kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                    Even if most of you are turned all against the little one now, I say: poor kid.
                    Ecthy this is a sad situation

For the record I am certainly not "Turned against the kid" in fact it is very sad when a child does something like this

I am merely stating in response to the irrational statement Thorn made about it being not uncommon for U S Cops to shhot someone in the back

Gramps

Comment

Yeah, most reactions are just more along the lines of "stupid boy, die die die!!" anyway.

Even if the cop can't be blamed, it is still a sad event. No matter how clever you are at explaining it rationally.

Comment

I agree with PH. Those kinds of people are the worst. The types that go drive and smash themselves in traffic jam etc. Nice way to die plus put other people in danger too.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Oh I forget, its "Black" people that cops shoot in the back.... comment retracted.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                            Oh I forget, its "Black" people that cops shoot in the back.... comment retracted.
                            If it has happened and yes wrongfully in perhaps some cases a poor judgement call or even intentional but certainly not the norm Thorn

Comment

Just because the media paints this boy as suicidal, I'm not jumping on the band wagon immediately, as often especially in shooting incidents the media has provided misleading and sometimes false facts.

For instance in Columbine, they went on for weeks that the two teens were part of this sinister gang called the Treachcoat Mofia, well turns out neither of them were even in that group. Other early reports indicated that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were in fact homesexual(to quote the media I hate the term). So when excitement springs, facts get messed up, all in the hopes to be the first one with the exciting and memorable story...... /rant

Comment

Working...
                              X