No announcement yet.

War movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, can you find me a source for that Serb? Up untill Moscow there really wasn't a reason to shoot retreating Germans, because there weren't any.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The Battlefield series
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

don't know how realistic it is, but 'pork chop hill' is an awesome film. 'ice cold in alex' and 'a birdge too far' are my favorite world war 2 ones.

there's a great (ww1) french film made in the 20s about two groups of french and german soldiers who are trapped by artillery, they get talking and find that they are divided more by class than by nationality. i've forgoten what it's called though.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Start with Lawrence of Arabia and work your way down.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
            3. Gettysburg
            Good lord, NO! How the director could take the Pulizer-Prize-winning Killer Angels and turn it into one of the most boring movies of all time defies explanation.

Buy the book. Listen to the audio book. But for God's sake, don't see the movie

Comment

I'm still laughing at Dances with Wolves being number 2. So if it can be 2, Gettysburg can be three
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The Patriot was a war movie? I thought it was a sit-com based on a fantasy novel?
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                  We Were Soldiers is a great movie, certainly a Top Ten.
                  Are you referring to We Were Soldiers Once And Young? Great flick!
                  And let us not forget Patton.

...and Victory at Entebbe
                  ...and Zulu

Comment

Kelly's Heros for some humor.

Comment

"We Were Soldiers" was a Mel Gibson flick. Not sure about the Once and Young bit Zkib, some fantasy of yours?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                        I'm still laughing at Dances with Wolves being number 2. So if it can be 2, Gettysburg can be three
                        And I didn't quote all of it...

Korea

1. M*A*S*H
                        2. Macarthur
                        3. Manchurian Candidate
                        4. Pork Chop Hill
                        5. The Bridges at Toko-Ri

Viet Nam

1. Platoon
                        2. Full Metal Jacket
                        3. The Deer Hunter
                        4. Apocalypse Now
                        5. The Quiet American
                        6. Born on the Fourth of July
                        7. Good Morning Vietnam
                        8. We Were Soldiers
                        9. Gardens of Stone

Various Wars, Conflicts and Peacetime Battles

1. Braveheart
                        2. Black Hawk Down
                        3. No Man's Land
                        4. Three Kings
                        5. Stripes
                        6. Ben Hur
                        7. The Sand Pebbles
                        8. The 13th Warrior
                        9. Star Wars
                        10. Gladiator
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Btw, colon, if you're interested in tactics, you'd probably better look for documentaries or, better yet, books.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

You forgot Hamburger Hill from Vietnam flicks.

Colon, about what you asked, well, All these movies are still pretty Hollywood, no way is it realistic. Some say that the opening minutes of Saving Private Ryan is realistic. Well maybe so, more realistic than others for sure.

About tactics, there just is no tactics involved in any of the movies, excpet hand signals, but that rarely is tactics, no?

Some tactics are shown in Band of Brothers, so you can see some in there, but not a lot. More than in others for sure though. It's good series overall too, you should watch the rest of the series.

But as far as tactics goes, you won't see more than 'cover me' or 'call the airstrike' or some lame ambushes that goes 'we hide and then shoot them' type of things. And hang signals. And radio usage. But that's not tactics. But like I said, there is some in Band of Brothers so it's nice in that way too.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              "We Were Soldiers" was a Mel Gibson flick. Not sure about the Once and Young bit Zkib, some fantasy of yours?
                              I think that was the title of the book upon which the movie was based.

Comment

yeah, that's it...sure
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X