War movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escape to victory is more realistic than the Patriot
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Only because of Sly.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I have no idea about tactics etc.

I think "Enemy at the Gates" was overall a good movie (although Serb hated it, but I think he's too biased in this case)
        Blah

Comment

Re: War movies

Originally posted by Colon

So, you think these movies generally picture the war-situations accuratly and the tactics that are used during combat?

Any recommendations?
          For ACW/WBTS "Birth of a Nation" used all former US/CSA veterns for its battle scenes, while the film itself is rather stilted, the battle scenes are probably the most authentic, actually men doing what they actually did on the same ground they did it, only this time it was filmed.

In general you wont find realsim in war films, as they are for interntainment not education, you might look at your national archives to see what war coverage is held for you to see, films of large scale training prior to Dday are very infrmative of *how* they were going to do certain things when they find them in real life.
          To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            Stalingrand ...... All's Quiet on the Western Front, 1930 version,
            Very good war movies. Also see James Coburn in "The Iron Cross".

Comment

Don't forget Cross of Iron. It's pretty fair as far as realism, in particular the use of proper weapons (real T-34s, 4x20mm AA guns etc.). Also for its time Hell's Angels is pretty good. Another good film for its (at the time at least) realistic portrayal of combat is Porkchop Hill. The two main officers portrayed in the film were consultants and one of the actors in the film was a combat officer in some of the action portrayed in the film. I also happen to like Halls of Montezuma and From Hell to Eternity which show some of the action in the Pacific island hopping campaigns. While neither of these films rise to the level of realism of those films previously mentioned, they are good drama.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Ack x-posted with Darsnan re: Cross of Iron.

A lot of good stuff has already been mentioned btw, I didn't bother rehashing any of that.

Comment

Ambush is a pretty good Finnish war movie about the war against the Soviets during WWII.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Re: Re: War movies

Originally posted by Nickiow

For ACW/WBTS "Birth of a Nation" used all former US/CSA veterns for its battle scenes, while the film itself is rather stilted, the battle scenes are probably the most authentic, actually men doing what they actually did on the same ground they did it, only this time it was filmed.
                    Umm, no. Birth of a Nation was made in 1915, 50 years after the Civil War ended. While some of the men may have been veterans, they would have been in their late 60s or early 70s at the youngest. And the scenes were filmed in Hollywood (in appropriately enough Griffith Park as well as what are now heavily developed areas). And no, there wasn't a battle in Hollywood during the Civil War.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: War movies

Originally posted by Sikander

Umm, no. Birth of a Nation was made in 1915, 50 years after the Civil War ended.
                      Made in1914, released in 15. Average age of a CW soldier was 22, over 200,000 were 14 or younger. It got funded because of the 1913 upsurge in intrest in annivesarry of the battle of GB.

Griffiths father wasCOL of the CSA first KY cav, he was dead but Griffiths used some the 50,000 CSA and US surviors from the 50th aniversarry meeting at GB for his film.
                      Originally posted by Sikander
                      While some of the men may have been veterans, they would have been in their late 60s or early 70s at the youngest. And the scenes were filmed in Hollywood (in appropriately enough Griffith Park as well as what are now heavily developed areas). And no, there wasn't a battle in Hollywood during the Civil War.
                      San Fernando park you mean, yes many of the scenes were filmed there, as were others at national parks.
                      Last edited by Nickiow; January 9, 2006, 07:53.
                      To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        I have no idea about tactics etc.

I think "Enemy at the Gates" was overall a good movie (although Serb hated it, but I think he's too biased in this case)
                        It just sucks completely and has nothing common with reality - pure BS, ignorance and idiotism of the director.

TOTAL SH!T.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: War movies

Originally posted by Nickiow

Made in1914, released in 15. Average age of a CW soldier was 22, over 200,000 were 14 or younger. It got funded because of the 1913 upsurge in intrest in annivesarry of the battle of GB.

Griffiths father wasCOL of the CSA first KY cav, he was dead but Griffiths used some the 50,000 CSA and US surviors from the 50th aniversarry meeting at GB for his film.

San Fernando park you mean, yes many of the scenes were filmed there, as were others at national parks.
                          http://hmaguy.blogspot.com/2003_05_0...y_archive.html
                          Did you find a decent web site regarding the history of Birth of a Nation? I couldn't find one, but there are a lot of historical markers, enlarged photos etc. showing the making of the film in Hollywood when I visited there.

Comment

What, you mean NKVD didn't shoot soldiers who tried to retreat?

Comment

NKVD never shoot soldiers who tried to breakthrough a fortified German defences.

And as for this entire NKVD crapp - implementation of such squads was a carbon copy of German tactics after Soviet's counter-ofence at Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

It just sucks completely and has nothing common with reality - pure BS, ignorance and idiotism of the director.

TOTAL SH!T.
                                But it has Rachel Weisz
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X