Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War movies

I think I've become addicted to them.

Especially WW2 movies. First watched "Saving Private Ryan", the opening scene was like one big WTF to me. Don't think they've ever shown the hectic confusion like that. It was also pretty interesting to watch what kind of combat-tactics they use. Then watched "When Trumpets Fade", which isn't quite a strong story-wise but still seems pretty realistic. Then "A Bridge Too Far", which had a pretty cool grand-strategy focus, although I had the feeling there was a bit too much cliche-drama in it. And finally I watched the 2 first episodes of "Band Of Brothers" which is a bit of a spin-off of "Saving Private Ryan" and has been pretty impressive so far.

Also watched "Apocalypse Now" in between but it didn't seem very realistic.

So, you think these movies generally picture the war-situations accuratly and the tactics that are used during combat?

Any recommendations?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

No and no.

Das boot.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Well, strictly speaking, Apocalypse Now isn't a war movie

- Das Boot. I haven't seen the director's cut yet.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

yet it's (apocalypse now) the best of them
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Yep, especially the Redux version.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Bridge Over The River Kwai
            The Great Escape
            The Dirty Dozen
            Good Morning Vietnam
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Some suggestions I found on the net:

Comprehensive List of the best war/military movies ever made. From the American Revolutionary War to WW2 to Various wars, conflicts and other peacetime battles, this list includes them all. Also contains a discussion forum where you can add your own favorite military films for others to consider.

American Revolutionary War

1. The Patriot
              2. The Crossing
              3. The American Revolution – Boxed DVD Set (A&E)

American Civil War

1. Glory
              2. Dances With Wolves
              3. Gettysburgh
              4. Cold Mountain
              5. Gone With the Wind
              6. Andersonville
              7. The Hunley
              8. Ironclads
              9. Birth of a Nation
              10. Ken Burns' Civil War

World War I
              1. Sergeant York
              2. A Very Long Engagement
              3. Galipoli
              4. Legends of the Fall
              5. The Lost Battalion
              6. African Queen
              7. Zeppelin
              8. All Quiet on the Western Front
              9. A Farewell to Arms
              10. The Dawn Patrol

World War II

The European Front

1. Saving Private Ryan
              2. Band of Brothers
              3. Schindler's List
              4. The Longest Day
              5. Patton
              6. Das Boot
              7. Casablanca
              8. Where Eagles Dare
              9. The Great Escape
              10. The Guns of Navarrone

The Pacific Theater

1. Tora! Tora! Tora!
              2. Empire of the Sun
              3. From Here to Eternity
              4. The Great Raid
              5. The Thin Red Line
              6. The Bridge On the River Kwai
              7. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
              8. Midway
              9. PT 109
              10. Sands of Iwo Jima

Comment

Stalingrand and Downfall are two good German ones.

All's Quiet on the Western Front, 1930 version, Paths of Glory for good WW1 action.

There is a Soviet film form the mid-1980's about the fighting in Belorussia that is supposedly very disturbing and moving at the same time.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Kubrick's Barry Lydon has some interesting scenes of the Seven Years War, but its only a small bit in a much longer drama.

Comment

Winter War
                    In da butt.

Comment

We Were Soldiers is a great movie, certainly a Top Ten.

And let us not forget Patton.

Comment

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

This site concentrates on the Western Ally experience of the war, but then, what can you really expect.

Comment

And what the folks at IMDB think:

Comment

In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              No and no.

Das boot.
                              So what's wrong then? I'm sort of getting interested in combat-tactics and the like.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                              X